Chain stretch

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Chain stretch

Okay, so after a weekend of riding fairly hard and carrying more than max capacity with people on board, I stretched the chains to the point they are all now scary loose! But I found my problem...it isn't that the chain is stretched beyond life...it is the chain tensioners are not taking up the slack. I pulled up, twisted, turned, and all but used a pry bar and cannot for the life of me get the tensioners to adjust. They keep just falling back down to the bottom of their tracks, leaving the chains very loose. All I can figure is the manual says each notch of the tensioner takes up ~3" of slack. There are 4 or 5 notches on the cam so that means they should hold the chain tight with up to 15" of total slack??? The manual also said the cam will not be able to be taken to the next notch until there is enough slack in the chain for it to clear the stops. Maybe that is my problem....I must be at that special state where the chains are loose but not yet loose enough for the cam to rotate. And btw, I have forgotten all along to mention the tensioners are still on the first notch of adjustment. So does this mean I only need to get the tensioners working to tighten the chain and not replace the chain yet??? Is anybody as confused as me right now....

I think I may be, however I would not use a bar as chains that tight will wear the shoes out pretty quick.

Try to jack up the machine and counter rotate the tires as you pull up and twist the adjuster with your 3rd hand.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

yes, as jim say's when taking up the chain make sure to rotate the wheels so the slack in the chain is on the tensioner side. easiest way is to jack up the machine alittle so the wheels will rotate freely. j.b.

I was able to get all but one tensioned properly. The one is not stretched enough yet to allow the cam to rotate to the next notch. I feel stupid now that I see how easy it was when you get the slack in the right place... But it's a learning curve. I think I am good now with all but my front chains, which I will be replacing soon. They measure 1 3/4" slack both ways right now. It seems like the 3" recommendation in the manual would put those short chains with too much slack. I don't want to risk wearing the sprockets or stressing the shaft seals and bearings so I think I will change them at 2".

Thanks again for all your help. You saved me from spending unnecessary $$$ on a new set of chains!!

cdover... glad it worked out. once you figure the technique on any maintenance issues it makes it easier next time, have fun !! johnboy va.

+ Reply to Thread