Chain stretch

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chain stretch

Chain stretch

I have already put 96 hours on my 2016 750hdi. I had it down for maintenance this weekend and found the front left (short) chain on the front axle seemed to be stretched way more than the right side, or any of the others. I didn't measure it, but it seemed to be close to 2" to 2 1/2" of slack up and down. I know the manual calls for attention when slack exceeds 3", but does that apply for this short chain as well? (I have the Admiral transmission so no drive chains like the older units coming down the side of the trans. Only the final drives have chains.)

But what puzzles me more than anything is why did that one chain stretch so much and the others are okay? I keep the maintenance done on schedule every time, and probably over-oil the chains because it's been so dusty this fall. It isn't making any noise, not jumping the sprocket, and doesn't seem to be in any kind of bind. AND, I only have 96 hours on the machine. Also, the slack stays the same no matter how I roll the tires back and forth. It will tighten a little on the top when it is pulling, but the slack drops to the bottom/return side.

What is the life expectancy of the chains from new on average? And, how much slack is necessary before a link can be taken out and still be able to be made back up without being too tight?

Do not put a half link in or remove a link, replace the chain if it is deemed bad. This will only lead to worse things.

Are the front bearings tight on that axle or has one gone bad, no up and down movement?
    Are the shaft bearings good?
    Did you hit anything and bend the frame? A little off chance but have to ask.
    Are you running tracks?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

also have you been the only owner of this machine,do you all the same tires?

I am the original owner. I bought it earlier this year new from dealer. I am running the stock 25" tires and no tracks. The tires aren't worn at all and have never seen asphalt. I haven't hit anything and the bearings seem to be tight with no movement in any direction. I really take care of the unit. It doesn't get abused at all. The only problem I had with it was the chattering when turning left which turned out to be warped brake rotors. Argo replaced them with an upgraded set and I don't have the chatter anymore.

That's what is so puzzling about it. Why would only that one chain stretch so much more than the others? What is the normal expected life for chains? I wouldn't think I would be seeing this kind of wear on a practically brand new machine already...

Thanks,

and the front ones out of all of them also,they are the tightest chain on there??
    i really dont know maybe it couldve been a faulty chain idk

The front chains in the HDis are the shortest lived from my experience. I can't say why one has stretched so much but do know when they pile up on sprockets and hit front frame they make a lot of noise. Jim is correct in not using half links especially on those short chains. Replace them when loose, they aren't very spendy.

This is weird, I have word for word the exact same issue as you with the same machine, mine has like 98 hours. I even had the same brake rotor problem. I was planning to replace my front chains soon. I did find that my front left tire was 2" smaller in circumference than the next smallest tire on the machine when I measured them all, and I replaced it with a new one.

That is weird! But I feel better knowing it's not just me. Not that misery loves company, but now it may be easier to get the factory to fix them if it's a multiple-machine known problem. I'm not sure if the warranty will cover the chains, but that is my next step before I buy anything. I mean I just spent $22,000 less than 8 months ago! I have friends with single link chains on atv's with high horsepower (1000cc's) that are ridden hard and outright abused that don't have stretch yet. And they have 500+ hours on them. If chain replacement will be part of the 100 hour service from now on, I have to start wondering what kind of quality we have here... But I know the fine people at Argo will make it right. They haven't let me down yet.

The tire size has me curious now. I will have to re-measure this weekend to see if I have a similar situation.

Question, Do all of the newer Argo's use single strand chains now? I've only ever worked on the older ones so I'm used to the double chain. If so, am I wrong but it would seem to me that double strand chain would be twice as strong as single strand chain ? Im just curious, considering the price of a new machine why would they go from a stronger chain to a weaker one when they already had a good system.? Double strand chain on my Argo lasted a hell of a long time. Granted, my grandfather should've changed them along time ago, but they kept the machine mobile for 20 years....
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

Argo knows about the brake problems, there was some kind of bulletin sent out. They had said to me that if I bring them the old rotor I will get reimbursed through warranty, but I only go to the city where the dealership is once or twice a year.

The chains driving the front 4 wheels are double 50 just like the old machines. The chains driving the rear 4 wheels are larger single 60. Not sure why they changed that, as now a guy has to carry two lengths of spare chain in different sizes, and twice as many master links.

Not sure how people make chains last so long. The brand new chains on my conquest are nearly toast after 40 hours running this fall. They never got dirty or wet and were lubed religiously every 10 hours or less. They were cheap chinese chain of course. But I'd think they'd still last longer than that. Also the driver was a novice argo driver, maybe that had something to do with it as well.

+ Reply to Thread