Gas leakage anyone ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gas leakage anyone ?

Gas leakage anyone ?

We had a snowstorm here the last 24 hours so I of course took the opportunity to play in the snow, i've got three quarters of a full tank of gas ... whipped it up and down the road a few times (maybe more than a few) Did some donuts ... got back in the driveway noticed a strong smell of gas, lifted up the floor and found a puddle of gas in the bottom of my Argo. I can't find the spot it came out of, the tank is soaked in gas & the floor is soaked in gas but I can't find any place of origin for the leaking. I was thinking maybe it's coming out of the top somewhere because the top of the tank also had gas all over it. It only happens when I turn hard left or right and the gas "sloshes". any ideas?
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

Wow good thing you smelled the fuel before it caught on fire.
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

check all the gas lines for cracks and the fittings to make sure they are tight.
    what year is your machine?

Quote Originally Posted by red-bird-dog View Post
    check all the gas lines for cracks and the fittings to make sure they are tight.
    what year is your machine?
    93 Magnum
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"

Check the filler neck hose for cracks in the rubber part. They usually leak when filling with fuel but could also slosh out. If not pull seat and inspect the top of the tank for cracks.

I would check the gas cap first, though it usually runs down the side of the body I'd imagine if small enough it could run down the fill tube, also if your tank has a vent line out of the back of the machine it would be at the age of cracking, vent line hooks to filler neck if so equipped.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

If it's like my conquest the filler neck has a little fitting and a vent hose that routes around the underside of the top half of the tub all the way around to the back where it vents from. That hose split and broke off the filler neck on mine and you can smell gas every time you sit on the seat and squish the contents underneath pushing some fumes out that vent. My vote is that it might have come out there. Tough place to work, I think you have to remove the filler neck to replace that vent hose.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    I would check the gas cap first, though it usually runs down the side of the body I'd imagine if small enough it could run down the fill tube, also if your tank has a vent line out of the back of the machine it would be at the age of cracking, vent line hooks to filler neck if so equipped.
    Jim, I was wondering about the gas cap too, if it is sloshing up & out then running back down the fill tube. Im trying to figure out a way to test this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
    If it's like my conquest the filler neck has a little fitting and a vent hose that routes around the underside of the top half of the tub all the way around to the back where it vents from. That hose split and broke off the filler neck on mine and you can smell gas every time you sit on the seat and squish the contents underneath pushing some fumes out that vent. My vote is that it might have come out there. Tough place to work, I think you have to remove the filler neck to replace that vent hose.
    Coast, Do you think that enough gas be able to spill out of that spot to create a huge puddle ? I went out today and did two turns, one left & one right, checked and quite a bit of gas spilled out , its hard to know for sure butif i had to guess id say about a shot glass worth from just those 2 turns.

Thanks guys

Kris run out and make your left hand turns, come in and use a flashlight from the rear compartment to see if you could see how far up the filler is wet. Sounds as if one of the 3 of us is on track.

If you can't see from the backside, remove the fuel cap and see if what is sticking out of the body is wet and running down. Check the gasket on the fuel cap. Only real way to test it if not obvious is to replace it. Again, generally when the fuel cap is leaking the side of the body is wet under the fill tube, this would depend on how much is sticking out.

Finally if you are still un able to locate the leak, remove the 4 bolts from the toolbox and slide the toolbox forward a couple inches. This should give you clear vision of the filler neck lower hose, and expose some of the tank for a better idea.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Kris run out and make your left hand turns, come in and use a flashlight from the rear compartment to see if you could see how far up the filler is wet. Sounds as if one of the 3 of us is on track.

If you can't see from the backside, remove the fuel cap and see if what is sticking out of the body is wet and running down. Check the gasket on the fuel cap. Only real way to test it if not obvious is to replace it. Again, generally when the fuel cap is leaking the side of the body is wet under the fill tube, this would depend on how much is sticking out.

Finally if you are still un able to locate the leak, remove the 4 bolts from the toolbox and slide the toolbox forward a couple inches. This should give you clear vision of the filler neck lower hose, and expose some of the tank for a better idea.
    Ok will do, thanks

+ Reply to Thread