lights install

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: lights install

lights install

got 2 new leds for the front of the Argo. 1st question is how can i prevent the wires on the exhaust side from melting and 2 how do i wire it.also do i need a relay for the lights that makes 3 questions but oh well!!

You might recognise the author of this thread for some wiring ideas.....
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...tml#post206808

Do you need a relay - what is the draw for the LED lights either each or total? That will also determine how to wire it..

wow,never heard of him sounds like a person who forgot he already had a thread about this lol. thanks glen but that about wiring them do i absolutely need a relay if not what will happen?

While you can buy "high temperature" insulated wire to do the job, re-routing your regular vehicle wire a few more extra inches, away from the heat source, would be a much simpler and less costly option. Having worked over 24 years for a leading manufacturer of high temperature wire and cable, I can state that with some authority.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    wow,never heard of him sounds like a person who forgot he already had a thread about this lol. thanks glen but that about wiring them do i absolutely need a relay if not what will happen?
    If you need a relay and don't use it, the contacts in your switch won't last.. They'll get burnt out from the internal arcing when you open and close the switch.. If the rating on your switch is higher than the draw on the LED's, then no relay is needed...

someome send a link on ebay of a good cheap relay

I sell MAXXIMA LED light at work and I will tell you thy draw MILLY AMP's compared to a Regular light so I would say you don't need a relay at all. Just when you hook them up thy will NOT lite if you do it backwards ! You won't hurt them but there Ground is there ground so test them first .

OK the leds came without a switch and there is just 1 red and black wire so i dont need a relay for sure? i dont want to ruin these brand new lights

Did your lights come with any instructions or information sheet? See what the instructions tell you about a relay and if they tell you nothing, check the info sheet to see if it tells you the amperage the lights draw. Compare that amperage to the amperage rating of your switch. If the only detail you have from the manufacturer is watts, then you can calculate amps using this table.
    Watts to amps (A) conversion calculator

You have a 12 volt DC system.

I calculated 26 watts as pulling slightly over 2 amps. Your typical rocker switch is rated for well over that (10 to 20 amps perhaps).

+ Reply to Thread