Argo years to buy or stay away from

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Argo years to buy or stay away from

Quote Originally Posted by coffinman View Post
    We must have been VERY lucky to find our beloved "Snurf," (Avenger,) on eBay a few years ago. It's a 2005 with a 26 hp Kohler. It only had about 58 hours on it, and needed very little maint. (Oil/tranny fluid change.) Fortunately, it came with all the goodies...brush guard, winch, top, hand-rails. We added a motor-mount for a 55 lb thrust troller, and just a few days ago, a manual windscreen wiper. We also have brand new tires we plan to install in April. Having said all that, I highly recommend that year and model. Good luck!!
    Non efi correct?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

That is correct, Jim. It's carb'd, yet it behaves as an EFI regarding start-up, hills and/or other efforts as a fuel-injected engine would. We've had it at relatively high altitudes, and cold temps. I'm not saying it performs as an EFI, however, it's never let us down. I'm not sure if Kohler even had a 26 hp that was EFI. Please let me know if they did. In any case, the 2005 Avenger ROCKS as far as we're concerned!!
    "...So sayeth the Coffinman..."

Yes Kohler does have a 26HP EFI, that is the Frontier Scout S and Responder S air cooled 8x8.
    I have the same motor as your avenger in my 700HD, main difference powertrain wise is that I have the Admiral trans.
    Though the 26HP 674CC Carb works good I think the 8.4 Hi Torque trans really compliments it to make up for the power loss over the EFI setup.
    Also note: "Kohler originally designated the horsepower at 26, but under new 2015 SAE J1940 testing standards it rates at 24 and has been reclassified." This is for the 674cc carburated Kohler Aegis motor only, not the current Frontier Scout and Responder S EFI models.
    I plan to do some extensive tuning between the carb and clutches to get the most out of it at all times and personally would much rather have the carb for my application. Our company runs the HDI and they have already had issues dropping them down a cylinder when out in the bush. I have heard multiple issues similar and have helped out others in the area as well. The carb models do not have the electric fuel pump either so that is one less issue to deal with. I personally do not trust electrical components when I am 50+kms in the backcountry, I have had much better luck on carburated machines in general. Much less to go wrong and easier to repair, adjust and calibrate in the woods.

The conquest models are great and I highly doubt you will have an issue for quite some time getting parts for these. Many can be cross referenced at automotive stores as well. They are very reliable if you keep the fuel clean and keep up on the maintenance they will last you a long time and will rarely need any hard to find parts.
    Last edited by Sparx; 02-15-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coffinman View Post
    That is correct, Jim. It's carb'd, yet it behaves as an EFI regarding start-up, hills and/or other efforts as a fuel-injected engine would. We've had it at relatively high altitudes, and cold temps. I'm not saying it performs as an EFI, however, it's never let us down. I'm not sure if Kohler even had a 26 hp that was EFI. Please let me know if they did. In any case, the 2005 Avenger ROCKS as far as we're concerned!!
    The carb has an accelerator pump on it? If so keep the linkage lubed.

Sparx, the 26 efi in the Frontier is a Kohler Command air cooled engine.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

"...The carb has an accelerator pump on it? If so keep the linkage lubed..."

Will do!
    "...So sayeth the Coffinman..."

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Sparx, the 26 efi in the Frontier is a Kohler Command air cooled engine.
    Actually all the Frontiers they call them Command Pro, but ONLY the Frontier 8x8 Scout S and Responder S are rated for 26HP while the others are 23HP and less.

Amen Argo Jim on the EFI issue, our gas is terrible, corn should be in liquor not gas.
    I have had a 2004 carb Avenger and now have a HDI 2013 and after using these machines 365 days a year I can honestly say I have had little to complain about and have not had to walk out of the bush.
    Floorman

+ Reply to Thread