Argo falling behind

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo falling behind

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Yea good point shotgun and everything is on the never never plan dollar down no payments Bla Bla Bla what ever happened to owning anything,got a lesson a while back it used to be what you owned and was paid for meant something went to buy some furniture on a time payment and was turned down hadn't established a credit history.why because I paid cash for everything I own dont owe nothin got a cottage a farm various vehicles all fairly new,sleds,aatv,s ,boats you name it all paid for and cash in the bank but was refused weird so jus paid cash and went home.NCT
    Very True, Case in point just had a Guy ask if he could fiance a golf car for 20 YEARS!!! I just shook my head.

Its funny that a few posts down there is a dealership announcing that in August of this year Argo is releasing a new model that looks to be a utility/sxs type 6x6. There is a pic of it covered, but you can see that it has a six tires. The outline looks more like a ranger/utility type vehicle with a bed in the rear. I bet it has a steering wheel and foot controls. It will be interesting to see what price point it will be at.

I use my conquest almost exclusively for deep snow conditions with 22" chanel tracks because I have a 2012 Ranger 6x6 and Polaris 570 sportsman quad for non snow seasons. I have had great luck with Polaris products, but I prefer the Argo for deep snow use. I had tracks for my Ranger when I first got it, but I felt it was too much stress on the machines drive (clutch) especially it being a very heavy machine to start with.

I agree with you Thorn on many levels. I use my machines specifically for what they are best at. It took a while and a lot of parts before I chose to put the suspended machines aside for the early fall season in the muskeg for the Argo on tracks. There's only so many passes through the skeg the suspended machines with their A-arms get free passes on before huge ruts get made and it gets harder and harder on the machines to get through. But once the ground gets frozen the Argo gets put away and the suspended machines come out to play and put down the miles. Or if a certain area I am hunting is dry enough I yet again pass on the Argo unless I'm trying to explore or swim ponds and haven't found a way around yet with the non-amphibious units.

My concern seeing 6 wheels based on their current lineup it won't have the box space a Polaris Ranger 6x6 or Argo 8x8 has for a moose and gear, but it will be cool to see if they expand the lineup or make a completely different setup. These guys should have been on something like this, they only work with NASA do they not? Lol

Haha, very true Warren.

I've always thought that the amphib manufacturers have left a lot to be desired in terms of maintenance, power, and desirability. If they could just give us that 40hp+ Polaris 570cc motor to start. Air cooling is self defeating for me in the hot and humid area I live. The current transmissions will work for awhile. The body design leaves something to be desired. A springer style suspension would be a good option along with tracks. A more balanced machine would also be desirable.

i think Argo is good the way it is now. maybe make a model with suspension but always keep the good old Argo design for people who want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
    You don't want to be talking to this guy about Polaris toughness, trust me... LOL. Sorry it did not work out for you, but many would say Argo's aren't tough and a pain in the butt for maintenance as well. All in the eye of the beholder. I for one own something of almost every brand, make, and model or at least have tried and worked on them extensively. If I really did have to pick one brand, it would be Polaris and I'm not very brand loyal at any level.
    I hate to agree, but HP is the number one determining factor of breakage. The faster you make something go, the more kinetic energy it carries and the faster it snaps stuff when it hits things.

I've seen Polaris SxS do stuff that made them look like hobby grade RC cars, bounce of their roofs, barrel roll down rocks end over end, still running and drive away with the driver only dazed. The fact Polaris can break at all is a testament to how over powered they are. I mean I've seen more than one Polaris Razor blow the front diff, but where talking machines with 70-110 HP full throttler lockers engaged. Stuff no truck, car, bike could survive.
    Image an Argo or Max with 100 HP. Image how fast they would disintegrate going over whoop de doo at 80 MPH. Now image a Razor 1000 with a 18HP Brigs... It wouldn't break, it couldn't. A sub 25 HP Razor could probably plow into anything and everything all day long and be abused to the point that the Top gear Hilux would look frail. That's the difference. These SxS go fast because they can survive going fast. Equal the playing field and restrict their top speed to 25 MPH and well they'd be indestructible.

Also nice rig Sparx

Seen plenty of twisted off Argo axles in my time hard to imagine the forces there, created from a low hp number with boat loads of torque,side by sides are great,marvel of engineering like a down sized Baja mobile I would like to have one for sure the big bonus is the ease of getting in and out off and for a lot of my uses would be just fine the Argo is a workhorse meant to transport people and materials over a wide range of terrain all seasons and amphibious if the side by was amphibious it would sure hurt AATV sales.NCT

My point earlier is that a mid grade Argo has gone up price wise by a large margin, and the technology you get for that price just hasn't evolved accordingly. Price an Argo 8x8 then compare that price and what you get for the money to say the Mudd Ox Vengeance model (T20 equipped version). Both machines have similar power, but the Ox has a more balance platform and better ergonomics. I do really like the Argo line, but the prices have just risen to the point that I know few folks that are buying new. Sales have got to be down, even though it appears the quality and features have gotten better. Then look at the more upscale Argo models, and with a few options you are talking pricing in the mid to upper $20k range. I wish Argo would get back to producing the Frontier line with the smaller engines like they did a few years back. I remember when $8000 would buy a great machine with solid splined axles, #60 chains, and you could switch out the motors for something more powerful a couple years down the road.
    I think most consumers would jump at a $7500 amphib if someone was smart enough to get it to the market. I'd like to offer that challenge to the manufacturers, and see what they can come up with, don't let the Chinese beat you to the market. Think outside the box, a vertical engine and hydraulic drive would really cut costs.

You make some fine points Noel no doubt cost vrs a changes is a tough pill to swallow though I still think that outboard motors are still on the top of the list for cost with little advance but do challenge you on the more balanced platform/ergonomics statement,now this is not going to turn into a bashing fest but fact is for what I use my machine for I can not imagine not having direct access to my passenger/cargo compartment as far as balance I would assume you are referring to the nose down in the water deal since the bulk of the machines loading capacity is in the rear it travels as close to level for me as required no different than anything else in the water you dont load a boat all on one side or the front,climbing and descending I myself have went down slopes that I really wished I hadn't way to steep and with judicious use of the brakes was able to get down safely.As far as a Argo ability to traverse the Canadian shield I see no difference where the engine is mounted and have used rear mount models in the same conditions.The outdoor products manufacturers are going to have to face a stark reality for sure and your 7500. model would sell no doubt there has been some movement in that direction from Bombardier in their watercraft line as they introduced the Spark a bare bones reasonably priced water scooter and sales were huge its my hopes that more of the same shows up across the outdoor recreational market,snowmobiles/outboard motors/boats/and wheelers all are way overpriced this is not a point to argue could and can they do it of course.NCT

+ Reply to Thread