Argo Avenger Fuel Filter

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Argo Avenger Fuel Filter

Yes, it certainly sounds like the culprit. I had it up in the mountains a few days ago ... I uploaded a photo earlier today ... and there was a noticeable loss of power on the grade. So I'll try the low pressure first and then if that doesn't work I'll try to get the 3310 from NAPA. I notice according to the online store the low pressure one is discontinued. But I have one that fits a Frontier and Vanguard, # 125-64, ( http://argoparts.com/i-14316651-125-64-filter-fuel.html) so I'll try that. Thanks again! I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Zircon; 02-25-2017 at 03:59 PM.

I did some more research and I found that the filter I want to replace 608-71 has been discontinued. But more than that. It is not even used anymore! Instead the job it used to do is now done by a new pickup tube 608-127. Apparently when under stress the filter in question used to create cavitation and that caused the fuel pump to perform poorly. There is a Bulletin from Argo that you can check out. Also, it gives an excellent description ... with photographs ... on how to replace it. You can check it out here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6d...9aeUw3SDQ/view

So, I have to scrap the old filter, the short connecting hoses and elbow and install the new pickup tube.
    Last edited by Zircon; 02-26-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks for that info. Wasn't sure why they changed. I have been having so much trouble with the filters on inside of tank that several people have converted back to external filters before the pump. The little plastic filter from the factory wasn't a very sturdy body. I have been using metal case filters. If you convert I would not reinstall the rivits in under seat storage so the drop tube can be pulled and cleaned.

The continuing saga of the Argo Avenger fuel filter ...

The original cause of all this frustration ... increasing frustration, actually ... is the Argo was backfiring. Not too bad at first. Started earlier this winter. Changed the plugs and started using Lucas injector fluid in the gas and the problem went away. Temporarily. Two weeks ago it started again ... and got considerably worse the last trip I had it out. Really bad when I got back home and started taking it off the trailer.

I checked the filter on the left side of the fuel pump. It was dirty so I decided to replace it. Not available anymore! Argo wants it removed from the system and replaced with a new and improved fuel pickup tube. So I ordered it.

It finally arrived last night. Put it in this morning. Connected the fuel line to it and the other end to the fuel pump. Just like the Argo bulletin suggests. Now it turns over fine, but won't start!!! Popped the line off the entry side of the pump ... the side where I removed the little plastic filter ... no fuel! I'm pretty sure there's no air lock. A couple of years ago I took out the tank, cleaned it out, put everything back, turned the key on for awhile to let the pump do its work, then it started perfectly. No such luck this time.

Someone had the very same problem on here before ... but it wasn't totally resolved in the forum posts. So, do you think the fuel pump is gone and the reason it was backfiring is it was on its last legs at that time?

If I attach a couple of hoses to the pump ... should it pump gas from one container to another if I turn the key. I don't have access to a fuel pressure pump.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mike; 03-03-2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

Just remove output hose at pump and route into container. Cycle the pump a couple times and see if you get fuel. Pump only runs 2seconds each time but will pick up fuel fast if all is good. If you have fuel you will need to get pressure guage to test regulator. It sits between the pump and high pressure filter. Part # regulator is24 404 16-S Pump # is 24 393 52-S. fuel pressure must be 39psi +-3 lb. at 35 you get poor idle. I'm betting on the pump but try pinching off return line from regulator to raise pressure and see if it will run.

I had this same problem on a different type of machine and it turned out to be a bad gas line from the tank to the pump you couldn't see it. The line would suck air but not leak fuel it always seemed like the fuel pump had failed. After removing the line and (this sounds weird but....) sucking on the line with my finger over it the problem was solved. Maybe worth a look

OK, I guess this will be the end of this saga. It began with my Argo Avenger 750 EFI backfiring earlier this winter. I thought I had licked the problem with a new set of plugs and some Lucas oil in the gas tank as a treatment for the injectors. But it came back with a vengance a few weeks ago. I checked the filter before the fuel pump and thought that might be my problem as it was quite dirty. When I tried to purchase it, I found it was discontinued, that I had to scrap that filter, and replace it with a new fuel pickup tube ... a 'new and improved' version with a finer mesh on the bottom. So, after a number of setbacks I finally got the part in from the dealer and got it installed. Previous to this, the machine would start great ... just backfire once I put it in gear and tried to go forward or reverse. Now I had a new problem ... which was where I left you: now it would turn over fine but wouldn't start! Gone from bad to worse. Right? Thought the fuel pump was gone now ... and that it might have been the cause of my problems in the first place.

Ok, here's what I did ... checked all those fuses hidden away up near the ECU. No luck there. Every one of them was alright! Next, I pulled out the relay and checked the terminals. Everything looked good, but I took a piece of fine grit sandpaper and cleaned them up anyway. Could have checked with a multitester but decided to save that for later. Stuck it back in the socket, turned the key half on without trying to start it ... did that before, but left it on a much longer time this time. Turned the key, and it started! Great! I'm in business! Right? So, maybe the new fuel pickup tube solved my problem. At least I hoped it had. Put it in gear and drove forward. Well, it sounded like Al Qaeda had sent a few insurgents into my backyard. So, back to square one.

Took out the air filter ... both of them. No dice! So, now I have one more option before I'm looking at taking it in to the shop. As you can probably gather from what I've already said, that's not a simple matter ... there's no dealer here where I live. So, it's either drive 420 miles or 50 miles. Either way I'm not looking forward to the repair bill considering the price they charge for parts.

So, what's my last option? Replace the fuel filter that was to the right of the fuel pump. The metal one. $75 plus $20 shipping from the dealer whose 420 miles away. $100 ... minus a 10% discount from the subsidiary dealer who's 50 miles away ... plus I have to drive out to get it.

Now, thanks to msafi65 I discovered that a fuel filter from a local auto parts store five minutes from the house (part number 23301) could do the same job as the Argo part (part number 24 050 03). Cost $4.88! Yep. That's correct! $4.88. I put it in, but I did have to replace the small section of fuel line between the filter and the regulator because, even though the filter is the same length from tip to tip, the body is quite a bit shorter. Also, the orientation might confuse you so make sure you check the arrow which shows the direction of flow) CHECK OUT A PHOTO I JUST UPLOADED.

One other thing you might note. The two bolts connecting the regulator to the chassis ( on my machine, at least) projected back into the box. That didn't matter with the bottom one. But the top one was very close to the fuel line and interfered with attaching the hose clamp. So, I switched that one around. Put the head at the back and projected the bolt toward the front and put the nut on that side.

Anyway, SUCCESS! No backfiring. Ploughed out the backyard and bottom driveway. No backfiring. It's a blizzard here again today, so I'll have to do it again tomorrow. And next week I'll take it for a good run in the mountains to really check it out.

Thanks to everyone that responded to my original post ... especially msafi65!

thats great.... are u located in corner brook?

+ Reply to Thread