Kohler to Briggs Conversion Guidance

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kohler to Briggs Conversion Guidance

Kohler to Briggs Conversion Guidance

Greetings to all: I just got an OLD Argo this weekend with its original Kohler 399 two stroke. I plan on installing a B&S Vanguard 23 hp engine. Any and all suggestions, info or knowledge would be highly appreciated. Specificslly, I need to know which model of the Vanguard to acquire as I am aware they come with several different shaft styles and lengths.

My background is 35 years of Aicraft Maintenance and 30 years of flying. I can easily handle this conversion but only if I start with the right engine, etc. Thanks I advance, can't wait to get this relic back I the mud with a modern engine!!

Vanguard 23 torque converter

Has anyone swapped an old Kohler 2 stroke for a Vanguard engine? Will the stock torque converter work on the Briggs Vanguard 23 horse engine? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Mike; 03-07-2017 at 06:03 PM. Reason: merged two threads on similar topics

Welcome to the forum. For the engine, just get the standard 1" keyed, straight shaft (not tapered). The CVT from a 2 stroke will not easily work with the 4 stroke motor so plan on purchasing new (or used) CVTs.

Tandemguy I have never done this swap, but I know there are threads on here that discuss some of the issues. One big issue is the fact that the 2 stroke spins higher rpm and thus the clutch shifts differently. A 4 stroke engine may not spin fast enough to get you into high gear, so to speak, with the 2 stroke clutch. Some on this site advise against using a 2 stroke clutch on a 4 stroke engine, while others seems to do it but they change the springs/weights in the clutch in an effort to adapt the clutch behavior to the 4 stroke engine. Also, check the shaft on the Kohler...may be a tapered shaft while your new engine may have a straight shaft. There was a recent thread about boring a tapered clutch to fit a straight shaft engine.

[QUOTE=Mike;211904]Welcome to the forum. For the engine, just get the standard 1" keyed, straight shaft (not tapered). The CVT from a 2 stroke will not easily work with the 4 stroke motor so plan on purchasing new (or used) CVTs.[/QUOTE

According to Rick at Ricks Relics, the old CVT from the akohler can be used with the Vanguard 23. Does anybody know anyone that has that configuration???
    Last edited by Tandemguy; 03-08-2017 at 12:41 AM. Reason: New info

Maybe a Kohler 4 stroke engine but NOT the 2 stroke. I have 2 used clutches in real nice shape if you need one ? Just PM me.
    You will need to make an engine mount and set up your belt alignment and so on but it is not the hard.

You will have to make the engine mount as low as possible or the hood will not clear the air breather assy. I put a 16 Vanguard in an older 2 stroke Argo.Not to hard of a conversion just get belt aligned and everything else is simple...

I replaced a 440 Kohler with 16 hp Tecumsuh. Had to replace clutch, Modified hood for motor clearance (like hoods used on argos with Tecumsuh motors) and reworked the exhaust system to exit from top half of body. All went well.

I would spend a little more money and get a Kohler 4 stroke. The B&S 23hp is not one of my favorite engines. I have had two over the years and they over heated often, had fuel starvation issues, and backfired liked no one's business.

+ Reply to Thread