Need help w/ brake conversion!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help w/ brake conversion!

Need help w/ brake conversion!

IMG_1468.jpgI have an older 8x8 argo late 1970's or early 80's. I am trying to convert the mechanical brakes to hydraulic. I used an atv caliper but it's hitting the clutch and I only have a hand brake lever. As anyone converted to hydraulic successfully? I what do I need to use for calipers and master cylinders? All help is appreciated.IMG_1617.jpgIMG_1619.jpgIMG_1620.jpg

Look up the K/KB low mounted/long sticked hydraulic brake machines and base your parts from there.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Update. I found some ATV rear foot brake master cylinders. I believe they are off of a Yamaha blaster or Black diamond. I used 2 brake calipers from an early 1990's Polaris ATV. I have not road road tested these brakes yet as I am am currently still building them. Here are some pictures so far.
    IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1631.jpg

That's cool. I have a 93 Vanguard been thinking about the conversion myself. Keep the pictures coming.

I like your idea. I've thought about this in the past when I had a Vanguard with mechanical brakes. An easier approach may have been to just make a rigid T bar to mount 2 hydraulic hand brakes too, then use a thumb throttle. Or another idea was to use foot brake masters like yours but I would have made a T-bar that pivots left and right. Weld a tab to the bottom front side of your T-bar stem and then mount the two masters facing each other so the tab presses the left master when you turn right and the right master when you turn right. The only issue would be stopping in a straight line lol, I would still need to incorporate a hand brake for stopping.

The Brakes did work for awhile but I am finding the atv calipers I chose have too small of brake pads. I just ordered some brake calipers off of a Yamaha rhino side by side. They were about $80 for the pair. I will be installing them this weekend. I am sorry for taking so long to repost. I will get some more pictures of my setup soon.

+ Reply to Thread