axle seal grooves

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: axle seal grooves

axle seal grooves

how do you repair seal grooves on your axles?

got either picture of the damage?

The proper way would be to use a speedi-sleeve, they cost less than $10 Canadian. I have also just used JB Weld many times over the years when a speedi-sleeve wasn't available to me. Clean the surface very well with brake Kleen and then apply a very thin coat of JB Weld around the axle using a credit card or something similar. once the JB has cured you can lightly sand it using very fine wet sanding paper, just knock down the high spots so the grooves remain filled in and the entire surface is smooth and level. The key is using very fine paper, 600 grit or so. I've used JB weld many times and although I would much rather use a speedi sleeve, I have never had a seal leak on any shaft I've repaired with JB Weld.

alright thanks, i do not have a picture sorry but the groove i fairly big to act as a entry for water

I have the same groove thing going on with one of my axles. I looked at the speedi-sleeve and Im not sure how I would use it. Does it slide over the area where the groove is or does it slide up tight next to it? The tolerances must be pretty tight and i would think it would be tough to get it all the way to where the wheel bearing is especially on older axles. Thanks,Mark

also,how long would one expect to get out of one of the new style double seals until they leak? i dont ride in much grass areas but bogs with mud holes and some water crossings. im also not sure how that speedi-sleeve works either... would like to dinf out!

Quote Originally Posted by red bricks View Post
    I have the same groove thing going on with one of my axles. I looked at the speedi-sleeve and Im not sure how I would use it. Does it slide over the area where the groove is or does it slide up tight next to it? The tolerances must be pretty tight and i would think it would be tough to get it all the way to where the wheel bearing is especially on older axles. Thanks,Mark
    The speedi-sleeve slides right over top of the damaged area and is held in place with loctite 209 giving you a brand new seal surface. The tolerances are tight and the sleeves themselves are very thin allowing the use of OE seals.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    also,how long would one expect to get out of one of the new style double seals until they leak? i dont ride in much grass areas but bogs with mud holes and some water crossings. im also not sure how that speedi-sleeve works either... would like to dinf out!
    Brand new double seals will last about 15 minutes if you do not fix the damaged axle first. Grass is hard on seals when it gets wrapped in there tight, mud isn't too bad unless you have some grease coming through the seals. Dirt will stick to the grease and makes for a pretty decent liquid sand paper lol. Water won't hurt them at all.

Do the heavy duty bearing upgrade and say goodbye to those seals.

i would have loved to use that solution but you know money money,and im selling so!

do you plan on the purchase of a new argo?

+ Reply to Thread