thrust bolts.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: thrust bolts.

So seeing where this went I waited for a bit, if I remember you have 1 newer style axle with 1 inch inner bearing which should have the bolt in it already.?
    If not here is the dilemma faced by the rest of the axles. The earlier generation splined axles which are 1-1/4 full length do not have a shoulder for the bolt to pull the bearing against, this addition will aid in the axles not pulling out but does nothing to hold it in. Agian if remembered correctly you replaced your older locking collar bearings with set screw lock bearings which could allow the axle to walk either way as the locking collars actually help lock the axle in place.

If this is so, perhaps tapping and installing the inner bolts on that side of the axles inner bearing and the a split locking collar either to the other side of that bearing or the inside of the outer bearing will do what you are seeking (or atleast what I believe you are attempting to achieve).

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

just bought a tap and die kit. there are holes in the axles already but not threaded. can i do it while axles are in the machine? anyway possible?

how far in should i drill out the hole and what size drill bit. im going to tap it with a drill,just watched a vid on it.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    how far in should i drill out the hole and what size drill bit. im going to tap it with a drill,just watched a vid on it.
    I'm no machinist but take the length of your bolt and add a quarter inch or so.
    Mark your drill bit with a piece of tape or other mark so you drill the same depth for other holes.
    As far as the drill bt size there must be a guide or table somewhere (internet) that tells you what size bit for a given thread size.

mowbizz is right, but the only thing I would add is the length of your bolt. An inch of bolt threaded into the axle should be plenty, so drill about 1-1/4 inches.

ok. so fine thread? and what size?

so fine thread? and what size?
    I see no reason to use fine threads. Coarse thread should be fine just add a drop of loctite for insurance.

there are holes in the axles already but not threaded
    You bolt size will be determined by the existing holes. The bolt can't be smaller than the existing holes, obviously. A 3/8 bolt should be plenty big enough. If you're lucky the existing hole was sized for tapping to some size. If you can get an accurate measurement on the existing hole, match it up to the drill size on the chart JoeMeg posted.

+ Reply to Thread