battery dead....fuse keeps blowing

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: battery dead....fuse keeps blowing

battery dead....fuse keeps blowing

Argo started bit slow this morning but it started went for a 30min ride came back shut her off and went to start and the battery is dead just enough to crank the engine over a bit. after trying to pull start many times i gave up. the battery showed 11V and i think the 30amp charge wire fuse was blown(i pulled it out but the other end stayed in so i dont know if it was or not but thats what i was expecting since it wasnt charging)so i replaced it turned the key and fuse blew again? all 15amp fuses are good and no wires were melted or messed up. what is the problem here?

Sounds like a dead short somewhere. It sounds like you have checked all your wires.....and if you haven't you need to do so. A wire doesn't have to be melted to present a problem. The insulation could be rubbed off and grounding against something. I guess as a last resort the stator (the part under the flywheel that effectively is the charging system) could be shorted. I think you could test it with a multimeter - unplug your charging wire(s) at the closest point to the engine. Set your multimeter to a continuity test (audible setting is easiest), and touch one lead to ground and the other lead to the engine side of the charging wire(s). If your meter indicates continuity then there is a problem - something has shorted out.

If you meter does not indicate continuity you can use this method to check other wire segments, again looking for continuity with ground.

i know this.my Argo charges and when i first started her up this morning the fuse blew and i had the brake fan on for all that ride which ate the battery and couldnet charge due to the fuse that was blew but why i dont i will do some tests.

could the regulator be gone and not be regulating the voltage coming off the stator?

i replaced it turned the key and fuse blew again?
    Based on the info from post no. 1 you are blowing fuses and the engine is not even running. There's nothing for the regulator to regulate unless the engine is running. Something could be shorted somewhere I suppose, thus the problems with just turning the key on.

tested the stator..got 0.1/0.2 ohms when on the 200 setting but on anything higher like 200K it showed 0 ohms which means stator is faulty. so which one do i go by and why do i get different results at different settings? tested each one to ground as well and it came up 1 every time on the screen. also one of the 2 AC wires looked lie they got a bit hot a rusted or corroded the connector.it was only one though the others looked fine. it blew when the engine cranked over by the way,sorry for the confusion.

Hey Curtisbyrne, the different settings are for different ranges. It appears that you a major short in one of your wires, check the burnt looking or discolored wires to ground. It could also be melted points in your switch.

so when testing what setting do i use? and when will i know what mode to use for future reference?

Post a picture of the face of your tester. It may be easier to show you than tell you.

it looks just like this

+ Reply to Thread