Replacement for KT-17 engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement for KT-17 engine

Replacement for KT-17 engine

Folks, have a project early/mid eighties 8x8 Argo with Kohler KT-17 engine, currently awaiting a carb and coil to get it running.
    If it turns out to be a bad engine, I'd be looking to replace it with something more modern, but without much modification. Obviously the Magnum 18 is easiest, but any advice on other engines that would fit the bill ?
    Cheers
    Malc

i would also like to know this. not that i need an engine just for future reference! i wouldnt mind a briggs but i would really like a 23hp kohler command in there to. EFI!!!

16hp v-twin vanguard briggs or 23hp and really fly.

Quote Originally Posted by argojosh View Post
    16hp v-twin vanguard briggs or 23hp and really fly.
    Cheers ! Is it same shaft size etc, just mofify engine mounts ?

briggs have lighter engines a 23 hp kohler is 90 pounds and a briggs is 74 i believe.

If you do decide to go forward with it, you will have to do a bit of research. A lot has changed with the years with those engines. You will have to change the bolt mounting pattern in the Argo. Make sure you keep the correct distance between the engine and transmission. New wiring harness and muffler and cowl. Check for clearances with the body and transmission. Check the size of the shaft if it's keyed or threaded and which clutch. etc etc

+ Reply to Thread