My first Argo configuration advice and questions.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Argo configuration advice and questions.

Hi Steve, have a cold one and watch me get stuck in the muck. https://youtu.be/XRkCkqj7NJo

That muck came up very fast. You were riding along, then all of a sudden began using the human assisted unstuck technique. Very nice!

Steve

Is the which optional from Argo or one you are purchasing yourself?
    Either way if you can get synthetic line I can't be adamant enough about how much better they are than steel which lines.
    Much lighter
    Much stronger
    won't kink up and twist
    won't bind on the drum
    won't rust
    won't stab into your fingers with tons of tiny little metal burs over time
    most importantly won't snap and de-limb everyone in the immediate area

Steel which lines work
    Just like steel body armor in the medieval ages, just like body armor we have moved to Kevlar / more advanced materials for a reason.
    Also what power output on the winch? On an 8x8 you want a decent output more truck level than ATV (if only to pull other stuck people out ;-p )

I approve of Juggernaut on the Hood

There was a lot of discussion on tracks in this thread not sure on what decision you came to. Tracks can make a 6x6 / 8x8 multitudes better under (most) circumstances off road but don't underestimate a machine with only tires. Simply put. You can get stuck with tracks you can get stuck with tires. Tires are simple and have a lot less to go wrong. It seems like in every track tread there is arguments about which track is "worst" not best. People point out their inherent flaws vs one another more than their gains. That's just my 2cents. Either way you'll have fun.

The thing that attracts me to tracks is the fact they would be a lot harder to puncture than the cheesy tires. I drive in clear cuts and rocks and sticks and sapplings have punctured tires but not the tracks. I just mow over the jungle to get to a deer that is down in a ravine. I drive over stumps from time to time when I don't see them. Try doing that in a UTV.

Barrows Argo is researching the winch cable as to strength. The 2013 SE model had a rope like cable. Since the tracks I will be using are Escargo, if it does get stuck, then it will really, really be stuck, so I have to make sure the winch cable is strong enough to get it unstuck. My priorities are unstoppable, usability, comfort, and asthetics.

Steve

I need to add durability to the priorities. The components chosen are the strongest available. I will have the winter kit for the Escargo tracks, but won't need it unless we get 100 feet of snow. I got responses for and against certain hardware. My motto became "I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Steve

Some things are still fluid, but I can describe what I know. As I mentioned, there was conflicting advice, so as I am a software engineer, and I work with mechanical and electronic engineers, and I have a good friend who is a machinest, I made some decisions. First, everyone agreed that I don't need the auto chain oiler, and I agree. Second, everyone agrees that the alternator is a good idea, and I agree as well. A question I had, was what charges the battery without the alternator, and I knew regulator/rectifier did not produce a charge. The answer is a magneto. OK, the battery will be Optima, there will be a brake fan, and under hood fan. The addition of the under hood fan stops a lot of the heat from the heater in the summer. Yes, I decided to go with the heater. The transmission will be the HT. The drive belt will be HD. The winch is still uncertain, but the fog lights will not be Argo, but third party controlled by a remote. The winch will be controlled by remote also, and have the rear winch receiver. The fog lights will be mounted on the top of the brush guard. Of course the windshield will be there, and it will have dual electric windshield wipers. I know they can break, so I will put stronger arms on them. I considered the manual wiper, but didn't want to be wiping with one hand, and driving with the other, especially as I get older. The full cover will have zip down screens, on all 5 positions. Between the two windshield wipers, will be a round mirror, so I can see behind me. The outboard motor bracket is a must, and the electric start motor will have a fuel disconnect from the main Argo fuel tank. There will be a paddle attached somewhere, and the utility pouch will be behind the front bench. The hand rails will be there, and I will buy or build folding stairs so my wife can get in and out easily. The trailer will be an extended height, so I can drive in and out with the cover up. It will be silver, as white would show the dirt, and black would make it way to hot inside in the summer. There will be brackets in the trailer to attach hold down straps. Juggernaut will be painted on the hood, so it won't interfere with the boat and OHRV registrations. The tracks will be full Escargo with track tuners. The winter kit will be here, but seldom used. As more things get finalized I will post them. The color will be red, and although I haven't seen the new models yet, it will likely be the Avenger STR, or similar.

Steve

I almost forgot. I will have a land anchor, and a boat anchor. The boat anchor will be attached to a rope, so if I get stuck in water, I can throw the anchor, and pull myself free. The GoPro Hero 5 Black will be the camera, and I have life jackets and helmets picked out.

Steve

wow !!! j.b.

make some bracket to keep both your anchors as it would be both annoying and take up alot of room if they were just thrown in the back. maybe on the side or behind the seat? just a suggestion if you will be carrying those 2 anchors with you all the time

+ Reply to Thread