My first Argo configuration advice and questions.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Argo configuration advice and questions.

Good idea. I will hide them as much as possible. I'm not sure how big the water anchor will be, but certainly smaller than the land anchor. Perhaps it can git under a bench. I will know more once it arrives in October. They have that extra fuel rack on the back, which could double as a hold something else rack.

I forgot, but I will have the mud flaps so mud and water won't be sloshed in the cab when the cover is down.

Steve

I'm under the influence again.
    After all, it is Saturday night.....
    Hiccup!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scimanstev View Post
    I'm under the influence again.
    After all, it is Saturday night.....
    Hiccup!

Steve
    Lol...too much information!
    Just kidding! Someday the Argo will be home then you'll really have something to celebrate!

I agree, but having a bunch of beer isn't the worst thing that could happen. After all, this isn't the first time I have imbibed, nor will it be the last. Practice makes perfect.

Steve

Hi Steve, you will have all the best options on your new Argo... but you haven't mentioned getting a plow. Living in New Hampshire that might be nice. I'm guessing you have a plow for your vehicle or a nice snowblower. Speaking of snow here is a short ride video out in the New England winter https://youtu.be/HFNbGg28QBM

I thought about the plow, but now I pay someone to plow my driveway, and I normally wake up at 5:30 AM. I shower, and leave for work. It costs me $35 a storm, regardless of how many times the driveway is plowed. If I added a plow to my Argo, I would have to get up even earlier, which sucks. I would rather pay, than get up earlier.

Steve

Wow sounds like you will have EVERYTHING, I like a prepared man. Plan first triumph later!

Only 2 criticisms
    1. Have you any experience off roading before? ATV or 4x4?. If not I'd be a bit intimidated with THAT many options. It sound very counter intuitive but sometimes the best tool is the one you invent on the spot than carry. It will take many adventures and sticky situations to master them all, but in time you will become the juggernaut not the machine.

2. This is going to be the BIGGEST problem, you are going to be disappointed in a lack of challenging places to drive. You are SO prepared and have SUCH a good off road machine... Argo with Escargo = force of nature.
    That it is going to be next to impossible finding somewhere you can actually push the machine to the limit which is preciously what I can image you want to do. You didn't prepare and buy the best to have a boring time on dirt trails. I'd suggest making friendly with land owners and seeing if they will let you run wild where trails do not exist otherwise everything is going to be a walk in the park for you.

I used to go 4 wheeling with a friend, but that was 30 years ago. You are right in that finding a place to ride that can challenge the Argo will be difficult at best. I have ridden snow mobiles, and I used to race dirt bikes when I was a boy. (I came in 4th place once, but there were only four of us racing.) I will do my best to learn all I can, and although there is no substitute for experience, I have absorbed a great deal from the many, many videos I have seen. The Argo is the perfect machine for me. I have known that for many years. I will learn, make mistakes, and learn more. That is why I am willing to spend so much money on this, but only once in my life. I fully intend to be riding well into my 70's and 80's. I will certainly trailer the Argo to different states, and find the most diabolical places to ride that I can. I have done about as much homework as I could. That is how I knew how to configure Juggernaut. Now I just have to survive the wait.

Steve

I guess that another advantage, or disadvantage, is that I'm an engineer, and think like an engineer. I am trained to look at as many possibilities as I can find, and solve them before I begin. I create software database systems that automate testing of inertial sensors. This time in my life is for plain old fun. The Argo is the best way I know of to achieve that. It is not fast, but it will be a bit difficult to get it stuck. I have seen video where only twice did I see Escargo tracks stuck. One was a guy coming up a near vertical hill, and he needed to winch himself the last few feet, and the other way when an Argo was coming out of the water, and the trail out was several feet too narrow. For me, it is the extreme versatility of the Argo that drew me in. I can always drive to a local lake, and spend the day on the water. I can go through sick amounts of snow, mud, rocks, or whatever without really worrying about getting stuck. I have seen some comments to videos that say the tracked Argos take the fun out of mudding, but the Argo drivers are clean, and pull the quads out when they get stuck. That to me is extreme power. If someone needs rescuing, I know that I could get them out when other vehicles could not possibly go where a tracked Argo can go. For so many years, I have wanted to be a part of the amphibious community and now I will have my chance.

Steve

As has been indicated previously, New Hampshire is not very Argo friendly. The really good trails in the northern part of the state, are actually closed during the mud season. To me that would have been the best time of year to ride. At least they are open for snow season, and I should be able to ride, as long as they stay designated as OHRV trails. I loved the snow video earlier in the thread, and have always enjoyed going out after a fresh snowfall. I plan on taking pictures and videos of fresh snow and posting them. That is a really beautiful time of year.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread