My first Argo configuration advice and questions.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: My first Argo configuration advice and questions.

I haven't been able to ride since the weekend due to other responsibilities. One improvement that is a must is bigger mud flaps. The wide tracks, have the bottom of the grousers curved backwards. This gives a very strong grip, but throws up debris from whatever terrain is being driven over. The result is a lot of mud, grass, and whatever being flung in the cab. We are fabricating new mud flaps that will cover the width of the tracks. The canopy will stop debris from getting in the cab, but removing all that mud from the screens may be difficult.

In other news, I finally found a company to insure it yesterday. I started with USAA, then was sent to USAA Progressive. They wouldn't insure it, so I tried State Farm. They sent me to Davis & Towle, which did insure it, and is actually Progressive. Go figure.

Anyway, my next tasks are to register it as an OHRV, and secure all the items in the trailer. It is dark when I get home from work and I have chores to do. The canopy is still being fitted with screens, and we have an Avenger LX switch panel on the way, which has more switch room, for the bow and stern lights. I have a bigger fuse panel, so once everything is here, we will rewire some things. I did get a pressure washer to clean it more easily, but temperatures have been below freezing. I am hoping to get more of the loose items in the trailer secured this weekend so I am mobile. I got more cameras for both Jeeps so I can see how to back up to the trailer hitch.

Overall, it has been identifying and fixing any issues, and solving any registration and insurance issues. Most likely I won't register it as a boat until next year, when the bow and stern lights will be ready, and I will have my boating license. This weekend I plan on making a video of me in my back yard, and then going down and up that steep rutted trail with huge boulders. I discovered that my GoPro camera chops the videos into a maximum of 17:41 which is not what I expected. I can splice clips together, but I haven't had time to do that yet.

The top priority in addition to securing the trailer items, is finishing the mud flaps. My coats and clothes are getting covered with mud spots, in addition to the huge amount of debris I have to clean out of the cab constantly.

Steve

I added regular mud flaps over the summer, and I should have done them years ago! They are the width of the tracks and although there is some mud flung into the machine, it is ALOT less than without!

I wouldn't have thought registering and insuring would have been so much grief. How come it is?

I think all Go-pros do that, not sure why, but if I'm making a video there is a tone of dull moments I need to take out anyways not to mention the shorter clips take less time to load into video editing software so it's ok.

I hear ya on the dark. I live in a mountain valley and sun goes down around 4pm! I used to wield an assortment of flashlights but really it's just impractical when working on things. I eventually got a nice head lamp. https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/PE...lamps/NAO-PLUS
    I couldn't suggest this anymore! It's like having night vision or super powers simply put with this guy it is NEVER night. Now I work outside in the dark just as I would in the day I can't discern any difference in my performance. Mine is a much older model only like 230 lumens. See it’s not about the brightness that makes this head lamp so good. It’s the active light sensing auto dimmer. Pretty much that 3rd reflector on top is a light meter and the internal circuit regulates the output so that the Lux (intensity of light) reflected back into the sensor (and your eyes) always stays constant. So if you’re looking at something 100 feet away or holding up a nut and bolt 6” from your face it’s always the same amount of light. You never get blinded, you never lose focuses. It’s one of those miracle technologies that has to be experienced firsthand. Likewise if you turn to talk to someone the light bunching from their face will dim the lamp down so you’re not blinding anyone else.

Edit: I see they now have a much cheaper model that doesn't come with all the bells and whistles but still features the reactive lighting feature: https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/PE...dlamps/REACTIK

My version is so old is doesn't have any of the programmable features, apps etc, so this would probably duplicate it's performance for much less money.

Thank you for the heads up on the head lamp. I will order one when I get home.

I guess, to insure Juggernaught I just didn't try the right company. Part of the problem is that I have not had much free time. This weekend in addition to getting the trailer ready, I have two computers to repair, and I need to feed my snakes. Today I am putting the snow tires on the Liberty. I hate driving in the snow, but Juggernaught is going to love It!

I can really see the benefits of mud flaps. If I didn't have any, it would be raining debris constantly. The ones I have are way under sized for those Beaver Dam tracks, and I am looking forward to replacing them with wider ones. Those tracks have an amazing bite, but they do throw debris.

Steve

Hey Steve, I'm glad you'll be joining us with the addition of your new Argo. Good mud flaps are very important to have, as we (Myself and Scott8x8) found out the first day we bought our Argo 8x8. We bought it at SLE in Tennessee and were looking for a place to drive it. My uncle set us up with a farmer's field with tons of cow patties everywhere! Needless to say, our first accessory after that was the mudflaps!

-John8x8hdi

I laughed very hard after reading your post. I had thought about that particular possibility, and decided mud was bad enough. I totally agree proper mud flaps are a very high priority. When I ran it with just tires, there was little to no problem, but with these tracks, there is a huge problem. It may take a week or two to get it fixed, but that will remain a top priority until it's fixed.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by John8x8hdi View Post
    Hey Steve, I'm glad you'll be joining us with the addition of your new Argo. Good mud flaps are very important to have, as we (Myself and Scott8x8) found out the first day we bought our Argo 8x8. We bought it at SLE in Tennessee and were looking for a place to drive it. My uncle set us up with a farmer's field with tons of cow patties everywhere! Needless to say, our first accessory after that was the mudflaps!

-John8x8hdi
    This adds new meaning to the phrase " The s*** has hit the fan!"

Today was a good day. I finally had time to clean up Juggernaught and do any maintenance. This was the first time I had the fire wall panel out, so I drained all the left over water from pressure washing. I vacuumed out any excess, and all the grass, mud, and sticks. I haven't had time to ride it much, but until the mud flaps situation is fixed, those tracks throw up constant debris. I hand cleaned all the floors and fire wall panels, and every surface I could get to. Simple Green and paper towels work wonders. I read here about a purple cleaner, so I will get some of that. I spent most of today looking at every detail and taking my time to get things right. That was the most fun I had working in a long time. Slowly things are coming together. All the insurance is taken care of, and it is registered as an OHRV. Tomorrow I will work in the trailer to secure everything. The tracks are tearing out the screws that hold the rubber mats down in the trailer, so I got some very heavy duty epoxy to glue them down. The only problem is that it is too cold to cure the epoxy. My biggest hold up, is that I am gone at work about 11.5 hours a day, and it's dark. I did buy that head lamp that was suggested, and I have it all charged up and ready to go. I think the mud flaps should be here next weekend. Then the next item is the canopy. The lady attaching screens to it has pneumonia and is working on it from home. Until the mud flaps are on, I may not do much riding as it takes so long to clean. I am planning on taking it to work to show everyone, and have the owners permission to bring it. Once I get everything secure in the trailer I will coordinate with work. I almost had the trailer fall off the 4x4 I had it setting on, but now after a couple of hours on Monday night, it is on three 2 X 10 sections screwed together that is 2 feet long. Much better.

Even though I haven't ridden as much as I would have liked, I am immensely enjoying the riding that I have done, and working on the details of either the trailer or Juggernaught. I know everything will come together. It is just a matter of time.

Steve

That’s great Steve!
    Getting to know these machines is as much fun as driving them...almost. Ice fishing season is coming fast so the wife and I spent the day insulating our aluminum bob house...all done except for the ceiling. That Argo is ready and waiting for ice on the lake but I take it up into our woods about once a week just for fun.

Mowbizz, where are you from?

+ Reply to Thread