My first Argo configuration advice and questions.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Argo configuration advice and questions.

The motor is 9.9 hp, but since the main motor is 30 hp, I will need a boating license. It is a dual axel trailer, but I'm not sure of the dimensions. Mostly when I am in the water, the tracks will be removed, except for those times when I'm out by myself, fully tracked, and a lake jumps out at me. With the tracks on, I will have to loosen the canopy screws, and slide the frame in about an inch to fit in the trailer. It is wide enough for Juggernaut to fit inside with the tracks on, just not including the winter kit. The metal on the winter kit is very jagged and sharp. It is a z-like pattern on the edges against the snow or ice, and should stop any sliding sideways on ice. The Kevlar belts on the tracks are a half inch thick, all with #8 hardened bolts. Quality is an understatement with these tracks. They are magnificently constructed, and should last many years. In fact this whole project is pure quality. The air brushing of the hood weill blow us away. I haven't seen it yet, but Marcella Barrows gave my wife an air brushed tee shirt from the same artist yesterday for her birthday , and it was the coolest tee shirt I have ever seen. The screening of the canopy windows is white, and extremely heavy duty to resist stick punctures. It will be Velcro around the edges for easy removal. Every detail has been thought about. The backup camera was installed on the trailer this morning, and the video display can be transferred to either Jeep that is set up to pull the trailer. I have ordered an impact driver, air pump, and several other tools that all work on batteries. In addition to the main lighting in the trailer, Bob added an additional switch that wirelessly controlled two battery operated lights, which work even with the trailer disconnected from the Jeeps. The trailer is being fully configured to act as a mobile repair shop, with everything I could need, except for the most massive repairs. Even clean wipes for greasy hands is attached to the wall, and can be replaced with a refill in 3 seconds. This whole project is just getting better and better. I am not a rich man, and I will never buy another Argo, but I have maneuvered everything for this one chance to have the toy of my dreams.

Steve

This is even better than I thought. I was thanking Chris at Beaver Dam Argo for the tracks, and he said the whole pallet, including the winter kit weighted 375. (He didn't say pounds or kilos but kilos would be 827 pounds) That gives me more allowable weight in water. He did say to have extra weight in the back to keep the nose up. He filled a 55 gallon drum with water on a Frontier, and went out in the "Bog of Death", then out into open water. That's awesome!

Steve

I have a question. Today the outboard motor was connected to Juggernaut for the first time. The electrical and gas connections are perfect, but the motor mount needs reinforcing as it wobbles. This would not be a problem in water, but might be if the lake is at the end of a 5 mile trail. Has anyone experienced this before, and what if any solutions did you come up with?

Steve

I noticed a little bit of flex in my outboard mount, but nothing serious... I've only tried a small electric outboard that folds up and allows me to put most of the weight on a rear seat when I'm out of the water. I know that you can get stabilizers for trolling motors to help give more strength to them. My little electric outboard solution doesn't take me much faster than spinning the tires does, but I do have better control. For me it was never about speed, so I went electric. It has the bonus of freaking out the paddle board kiddies that can't figure out what the hell I'm driving and how I'm moving with no sound at all. I think that's one of the joys of 6x6/8x8 ownership. The average Joe's brain can't process what it's seeing very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlR View Post
    I noticed a little bit of flex in my outboard mount, but nothing serious... I've only tried a small electric outboard that folds up and allows me to put most of the weight on a rear seat when I'm out of the water. I know that you can get stabilizers for trolling motors to help give more strength to them. My little electric outboard solution doesn't take me much faster than spinning the tires does, but I do have better control. For me it was never about speed, so I went electric. It has the bonus of freaking out the paddle board kiddies that can't figure out what the hell I'm driving and how I'm moving with no sound at all. I think that's one of the joys of 6x6/8x8 ownership. The average Joe's brain can't process what it's seeing very easily.
    That's a great answer! Between Barrows ATV and myself, we will figure out a way to stabilize the 9.9 hp motor. Perhaps, it will be delivered here to me permanently next weekend, and once it is registered, and all is legal, I look forward to creating some of the commotion you describe. May the fun begin!

Steve

Perhaps a brace from the rear receiver hitch to the outboard like they use for
    trailering with the outboard in the raised position? You would then have a 3
    Point brace...the motor mount, the receiver hitch and the outboard shaft.

That's a good idea. I will relay it to Barrows.

Steve

great pics and what a machine...upcoming videos will be awesome ! i agree on the outboard motor stabilizing. you have the hitch reciever right there on back. fabricate a brace that pins in to the reciever and then a custom clamp that easily attaches to the motor uprite post close up near the square mount plate. looking good my friend ......... johnboy va.

This gets better every day. I can't wait to post pictures and videos once it is all complete. It should be here this weekend. Yabba Dabba Doo!

Steve

This is what happens when I get all excited about Juggernaut. It is 2:05 AM, and I still can't sleep. Work is going to be torturous.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread