Need engine expert

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need engine expert

Need engine expert

My Argo has a magnum 18 twin in it,has new coil fuel pump plugs and lines. It starts but not the first then of the key.usually takes 5 or 6 turns for it to go.once it starts it runs good and has lots of power. I see vids on YouTube of these engines starting first click of the key and it bugs me that mine has to turn over so much to start. My friends 85 Argo has the same engine and it start first turn of the key so.I am confident it’s not a carb or gas issue.im thinking something deep in the engine that may need fixing or replacing.anyone have an idea what to look for or where to start?

Engine expert? Not to demean your request but wouldn’t that be a MECHANIC?
    Your Argo should be taken to someone that knows the internal combustion engine and can tune it accordingly per its unique specifications to operate at its maximum potential. I know your plight and don’t want to spend $$$ but sometimes you just might need to take it to a good mechanic. Please don’t take this personally but as an outsider it seems obvious to me that at times, shade tree mechanics won’t cut it. I do give you credit for working on your own stuff...very admirable!

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    My Argo has a magnum 18 twin in it,has new coil fuel pump plugs and lines. It starts but not the first then of the key.usually takes 5 or 6 turns for it to go.once it starts it runs good and has lots of power. I see vids on YouTube of these engines starting first click of the key and it bugs me that mine has to turn over so much to start. My friends 85 Argo has the same engine and it start first turn of the key so.I am confident it’s not a carb or gas issue.im thinking something deep in the engine that may need fixing or replacing.anyone have an idea what to look for or where to start?
    I am not a motor expert at all, however double check the fuel lines and such, if you lose prime from a leaking line or something it will take some turning over to get fuel back. I wouldn't start looking deep into the engine yet, but how is the cold start? Never hurts to do a compression test.

Check the choke make sure it is working and then the next step is to make air cleaner is clean then if that doesn't work remove carborator clean and make there is no water in carb. . The procedure for setting slow speed jets are in manual.

Engine; remove plugs and check gap and look at plug condition gray good black needs trouble shooting .
    Hopefully this helps your engine is simple and dependable.

ok thanks,thanks mowbizz but what i meant was i can do a couple tests and then if its big get it done by a mechanic. i names this post "Need engine expert" because maybe someone who has been around engines alot have seen this problem occur and know the problem

My 2011 Avenger had similar problems after sitting for a while and a new fuel pump solved it. I only realized it was the problem after the old one failed and had it replaced. Wish I’d done it sooner. Sounds like you already have a new pump. Best of luck sorting it out!

interesting this came up...i have a pretty new vanguard 21 h.p. in my max 2 ( maybe 50 hrs. ) and mine also takes some cranking to get the gas to the carb with choke on. after that it runs great, no issues. almost like the gas drains back down the fuel line or ? not a big deal..but have wondered why ? johnboy va.

yea thats sounds what its like.but i can see the fuel in the line i have clear fuel line.

Hi folks. I SWAP my original B&S 16 hp engine to brand new 20.5 hp Robin-Subaru EH 64, on my Argo Vanguard 6x6 1989 .. It's very powerfull engine fore 6x6, love that power and mobility, but i have same problem with fuel leaking from carb to fuel line. I fixt that temporary, ( install rubber outboard engine hand pump), these is very helpfull fore engibe start. But, fore me it's very strange , because i have electromagnetic fuel valve on my carb. And valve is ok...Very strange.
    I recommend every owner ho have old ARGO model swap engine fo Robin Subaru EH 64 or EH 65. i can send photos if somebody need .
    Bullet speed is important, but accuracy is Final !

That's pills can resolve these problem.
    Attached Images
    Bullet speed is important, but accuracy is Final !

+ Reply to Thread