The time is getting close for me to finally buy an Argo. I have wanted an amphibious ATV since I first saw the Banana Splits as a boy. I have made every effort over the years to learn as much as I can, but one thing I have learned is to listen to those that have experience. And answers to questions or advice will be very much appreciated, and taken very seriously. I am in a position where initial cost is not a concern, but I only want to do it once, and have a wonderful machine for decades.

I had wanted an Avenger LX, but recent advice made me realize that the HS transmission would not work with tracks very well. I was recommended the Avenger STR, as it does have bead lock tires. I agree. I don't know how often I will be using tracks, but when they are on, I will be making long rides, so I will go with the HT transmission. I don't care about top end speed, just reliability, and versatility.

These are the options for the STR:
1. Alternator. That sounds like I want that. My question is how does an Argo work without an alternator? I will add USB ports, and perhaps a stereo like the LX, and having plenty of electrical power is a no brainer.
2. Brake cooling fan. I'm not sure exactly what this is, but it sounds like a good idea. Any comments would be welcome.
3. HD drive belt. That sounds like another no brainer, but what do you think?
4. Brushguard. Yep, I need one.
5. Winch. Absolutely! I will also have 100 feet of extra steel cable, and a land anchor in case I get stuck somewhere with nothing to winch onto. I want to be ready for anything!
Now for the accessories.
1. Brake lights. This is a requirement to register it as a snow mobile in New Hampshire. I wanted fog lights for the brushguard, but New Hampshire allows a maximum of two head lights to be a snow mobile. I have to register it as an OHRV, but can also register it as a snow mobile.
2. Automatic chain oiler. This sounds like a good idea.
3. Outboard motor mount. Many of the ATV trails in New Hampshire are not legal for an ATV 60 inches wide, as is the STR. The trails that are legal are about a 2 hour drive away, but there are lakes all over the place. A question I have, as I have looked at 9,9 hp outboard motors, is shaft length. I have seen 15", 20", and 25". Which is the right one for an Argo. I am even looking at electric start motors, as I don't want to be 90 years old, pulling a cord.
4. Windshield. This is a great idea, and since I want the full canvas cover, is a requirement.
5. Windshield wiper. This is an all weather, all terrain machine, so yes a windshield wiper seems like a good idea. I can picture myself riding out in a rain or snow storm, knowing the chances of getting stuck are minimal.
6. Convertible top. That can work great for winter, or even bug season. I am thinking of modifying it so that screens can be on the inside of the plastic, like a tent is structured. That way, the bugs stay out, and the breeze comes through. I also see that it is removable for the times I just want to be out in the sun. Perfect!
7. Rear Winch Receiver Accessory. What is that? It looks very useful, and from the picture it seems it has a remote for the winch. A remote sounds like a very good idea.
8. Under hood fan. I can't find that listed at the moment, but I know I have read about it somewhere. This seems like a good idea.
9. Cab heater. This sounds excellent for a cold day, but I have some questions. First, where is it placed? Does it prevent me from removing the convertible top? I did read in these forums that it can't be shut off in the summer. I am guessing it works by running engine coolant through it, so some sort of shut off valve might be required. I do need your thoughts on this, as the description doesn't answer the questions.
10. Tracks. The real power of an Argo is unleashed with tracks. Without a consumer report style comparison of the different styles for the same conditions, I have to rely on the videos. I have settled on the Escargo tracks with the removable winter kit. That video of an Argo crawling on and off broken ice made the decision for me. That was awesome! I understand that they are heavier, and perhaps a bit slower in water, but as far as traction going up hills and snow, they seem to be the most likely to not be stuck. I know I need track tuners, which is fine. That makes sense to me. I think I need extensions, but with the beadlock tires, I'm not sure. I know they can be reversed to add a built in extension. What do you think?
11. Covered trailer. This is indispensable, as the legal summer trails are about 2 hours away. I have been looking at SLE Equipment as a dealer for both the Argo and the trailer. I am hoping I can get the Argo delivered in the trailer. The trailer will double as another garage bay. Perfect! I don't have a trailer hitch on my Jeep Liberty yet, but will have one installed as soon as I learn the correct size. I think at that dealer, I saw I could get the Argo in red. I saw on the Argo website, that the STR only comes in black, tundra, and camo. If it could be red, that would be awesome!

I am really looking forward to this. I think the 2018 models will be out soon, and I may base the root STR on the new models, but at least I will have the basic configuration set. I already have helmets, live jackets, a GoPro Hero 5, with 128 Gb SD card all picked out. Once a few more things fall into place, I will go on an ordering spree. I am open to suggestions on the best electric start outboard motor, or anything else. I can only do this once, but for just this once, I am not cost shy. I want this Argo to be the best thing I have ever purchased, that will last me many, many years. My wife thinks I am a nut, and doesn't approve, but this time she is over ruled. I will have my Argo!

Steve