How to get your Argo back on the ice?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to get your Argo back on the ice?

How to get your Argo back on the ice?

I am currently running an Argo conquest 8 x 8. I run plastic tracks. I have never liked the cleats. Last year I broke through the ice and basically could not get back on the ice. What are people doing for their tracks so they can gain traction to climb back on the ice? Are they using screw in carbide tire studs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V0ZEe2wF-A
    i know this dont help for the track part but if you do this you wont have to worry about modifying tracks if you carry this tool. of course you need a rear winch though.

Our problem is we didn't dare try to walk on the ice. Drove over a shallow spot with flow. Otherwise great tool.

There's some great ice walk out videos on Fox Valley Argo sales website. Very impressive.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post
    There's some great ice walk out videos on Fox Valley Argo sales website. Very impressive.
    Those videos have machines with Escargo Tracks on. Not cheap tracks ($3,000+).

I believe they are Adair tracks
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Nothing climbs out of ice better then metal tracks. I had the Rubber tracks and they don't compare on any level to the ice performance the Escargo have on ice breaking through the ice. It does still take a certain level of thickness to climb out on. Until then it half climbs up and breaks the ice very slowly. Reverse obviously works much better in this situation and you can still get out at a much slower pace. Anything plastic including Adair tracks have a much harder time climbing out of the ice at any level, basically needing to be winched out. A guy can screw in some ice studs to help as I plan to do on an Adair track but it's still hard to beat a big sharp metal blad from an Escargo track or even Channel track.

The only reason I like escargo tracks is their ability to climb especially with ice besides that not much. I have seen some people screw in small L angle steel on the top of the plastic tracks which improves it immensely! Proper track tension and steel is the secret for ice recovery. Sills argo demonstrates a great way to get yourself unstuck in a bad spot but also very dangerous and should be very cautious.

a lot of those videos of argos climbing out on ice are total bull stool sample.if u look real close the tracks are hooking up on the lake bottom.

how to get your argo back on the ice

[QUOTE=plott hound;215923]a lot of those videos of argos climbing out on ice are total bull stool sample.if u look real close the tracks are hooking up on the lake bottom.[/QUOTE
    Yup!if you just touch bottom a tiny bit it makes all the difference.

+ Reply to Thread