Sealing bolts after removing entry steps

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sealing bolts after removing entry steps

Sealing bolts after removing entry steps

I had asked Fox Valley Argo (on another thread) how they sealed the holes after removing the Argo entry steps for a track installation. No response on that.
    I have a Frontier Scout 6x6 which comes with the steps from the factory.
    What is the best method of sealing the holes when these are removed?
    In addition, the position of he steps appear to be well below where the track would be (based on watching a million YouTube videos...)
    My 2nd question would be why the steps have to be removed in the first place?
    There seems to be plenty of clearance for a track.
    I do not have tracks yet but may add them at some point.
    Thanks for any insight on this!

Without knowing more, if I had a bolt hole in my tub and I wanted to seal it, I would just put a bolt in the hole with a flat washer on each side with a little dab of silicone to seal the washers.

Not sure if my idea would be the "best" way but, I would do just as dirtdobber said. I've done this numerous times on my Argo.

Okay, thanks! I had the idea of using the bolts to plug the holes...I didn't know if there was a superior sealant to use rather than silicone...hmmm...maybe that flex-seal stuff? They sell it at my local home store.

Phil Swift here shamelessly pushing my flex tape. Have you seen the boat I supposedly cut in half and then taped back together?

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    Phil Swift here shamelessly pushing my flex tape. Have you seen the boat I supposedly cut in half and then taped back together?
    Lol...that's the stuff!

------after removing entry steps

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    I had asked Fox Valley Argo (on another thread) how they sealed the holes after removing the Argo entry steps for a track installation. No response on that.
    I have a Frontier Scout 6x6 which comes with the steps from the factory.
    What is the best method of sealing the holes when these are removed?
    In addition, the position of he steps appear to be well below where the track would be (based on watching a million YouTube videos...)
    My 2nd question would be why the steps have to be removed in the first place?
    There seems to be plenty of clearance for a track.
    I do not have tracks yet but may add them at some point.
    Thanks for any insight on this!
    Yes! I think your question # 2 is a very very good question. Lets get that answered by Fox Argo or Adair Argo or Argo Jim or another expert before going in a direction that is not necessary.

I'm thinking that the entry step might be kind of useless with the tracks and extensions on.unless your knee bends backwards of course,lol.suddenly that step is way to far inboard.

the bolt and washers are a good idea...under each flat metal washer ( fender washers are best ) put a rubber washer and the silicone then. the rubber washers are usually in the plumbing section of the hardware store..... have fun, johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    I'm thinking that the entry step might be kind of useless with the tracks and extensions on.unless your knee bends backwards of course,lol.suddenly that step is way to far inboard.
    Hi Plott hound. You are right for sure that the steps on my Avenger are useless and out of sight when my rubber tracks are on . but I don,t think there is any reason to remove them. What do you think/

+ Reply to Thread