Steering lever slow to return

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steering lever slow to return

Steering lever slow to return

First time posting in here but I have been reading a lot in the forum. First let me say that I have always wanted an Argo. I finally was able to get a great deal on a used one. I duck hunt and was always fascinated by the Argo and what it could do in a swamp. So far I am very impressed.

Tried searching this but couldn't find anything on this.

I have a 99 Conquest that I know needs a brake fluid change and probably a brake rebuild. My question was why would the steering lever be slow to come back to the upright position near the dash. Will rebuilding the brakes fix this or is it something else? I did adjust the brake plunger behind the lever to try and even up the pressure and have the levers brake evenly and not have to pull all the way down to my lap. I have seen Rock Dr's videos and his Argo is a very small pull on the lever while he was riding. This is what I want it to do.

Thanks in advance for your advice

there should be a return spring on each lever.

You may need to remove the lever and clean the bushing and mount, then relube.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

It has both springs on the levers. Didn't know if you ever need to replace them. I'll look at the bushings as well

I had one a while back that had the wrong brake fluid. levers would stick, because the plungers were swollen due to the wrong fluid
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    You may need to remove the lever and clean the bushing and mount, then relube.
    what he said^ lol

What did you find?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. I did by some new brake fluid. I figured I would order the o-rings to rebuild the master cylinders and calipers when I change the fluid. Took it out on the dove hunt Saturday and she did good. Took it onto some water for the first time and it scared the crap out of me. I'm a big guy, 290lbs, and it has the ROPS on it. It got very low in the front. When j got home I searched the forum and found several posts about taking off the ROPS if you hit water. Took it off last night and went to a pond at a friends place. Much better! I was so worried I was going to sink her

I finally got around to getting this work done. I installed the alternator kit new throttle cable, and rebuilt the entire brake system. ArgoJim, you were right. The bushing was full of gunk. I cleaned it out and relubed and it works great now. Only problem now is I broke the 7mm bolt off on one of the calipers. Going to try and remove it tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys

Finally got that broken bolt out! After rebuilding the brakes the levers move down smooth now. So much better to drive!

+ Reply to Thread