New to me 8x8 looking for advice.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to me 8x8 looking for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    would be nice to clean all the grease out of that tub too be the way!
    Definitely. A big jug of de-greaser and a brush are on the list.

I have the pinned axles. Pretty much the same procedure? Just bang out pins first?

Thanks

Cleaned the tub and lubed the chains.

Before:
    After:

During that process I noticed this anomaly. Any ideas on what caused it? I know my chains need replacing. Hope to have that done soon.

I also attempted to install a "half link" to temporarily tension up those chains but then I could not get the ends to meet and I was using the appropriate "Special Tool." Did I do it wrong or do I just not have enough stretch for one to work?

Thanks

That is one clean tub! What did you use to clean it? For the chains, don't half link them. It will be fine on a temporary basis but if you leave it like that, you will wear out the sprockets much quicker. You should just plan on replacing the chain. For the bent chain, there's no telling what caused that. Most likely something was dropped/left in the tub and it fount its way wedged under the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_B View Post
    Cleaned the tub and lubed the chains.

Before:
    After:

During that process I noticed this anomaly. Any ideas on what caused it? I know my chains need replacing. Hope to have that done soon.

I also attempted to install a "half link" to temporarily tension up those chains but then I could not get the ends to meet and I was using the appropriate "Special Tool." Did I do it wrong or do I just not have enough stretch for one to work?

Thanks
    Dang it, did a whole thing and lost it.
    Replace the chains, a half link should never fit in a correct length chain, the picture looks as if a chain breaker was used and it actually broke the chain. Happens now and again. Or as Mike wrote maybe it ran over something, check for broken sprocket tooth.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That is one clean tub! What did you use to clean it?
    A can of automotive engine shampoo and a pressure washer.

Speaking of chains are the ones made by Koch any good?

Thanks

This past weekend I changed the 4 long chains on the rear axles. Next set will be the shorter chains on the 4 front axles.
    The excessive slack seems to be gone now.
    I checked the drive belt and it looks like it is pretty worn out. According to my manual it should be replaced if it is less than 1 5/16" wide. I measure it out at only 1 1/16".

Can someone verify that the minimum spec. of 1 5/16" is correct for my machine and a good source for a new belt?
    Would this thinner belt affect the torque from the machine? Any other symptoms it would cause?

Thanks and sorry for all the newbie questions.

To add to my post above.

I have found contradictory information.

In my Argo service manual it says to use belt #125-56 for the TB model.
    In my Argo parts manual it says to use belt #125-25 for the TB model.

Can anyone shed some light on this and perhaps some of what I asked in my post above?

give mission cycle in angus a call,they are a brand new argo dealership or the site sponcsr.they have an excellent website..what size are your drive chains from the trans to your idler shafts?if they are double 40 I might have some new ones for you.

http://www.argoadventure.com/125-25-...EC_p_7724.html

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    give mission cycle in angus a call,they are a brand new argo dealership or the site sponcsr.they have an excellent website..what size are your drive chains from the trans to your idler shafts?if they are double 40 I might have some new ones for you.

Argo Atv 125-25 Drive Belt Tecumseh
    Oh thats awesome Mission Cycle is just down the road from me. Didnt know they where an Argo dealer, nothing shows up when searched online.

I am pretty sure the idler chains are double 40. I will verify this weekend.

Thanks

Quick question about wheel nut torque.

Looked in my manual but I cannot find the info. probably because back in '83 wheel nut torque specs just where not considered too important.
    Anyways.
    Does anyone know what I should torque these wheels down to? I will also be installing the aluminum wheel spacers for my tracks if that affects the torque spec.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread