Track opinion

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Track opinion

Track opinion

Hey guys,

I was wondering, what is your favorite track ARGO or aftermarket and why?

I love the quad and snow tracks for the XTis and Centaurs.
    For Argos, nothing beats a good set of plastic tracks on ice for fun.

I purchased Tru Trax last December and couldn't be happier. Not an ice/snow machine, so I can't speak to that, but these tracks have zero problem going through the marsh and flooded pine forests of Maryland's lower Eastern Shore. We've been using the plastic segmented tracks (either regular width or supertrack) in our club for over 30 years.

Although I admit I am new to this, I am getting the Beaver Dam Argo track, that is similar to the Escargo track. The difference is that the grousers are square, and cupped at the ends, instead of the rounded Escargo track. The Escargo track manufactured in Canada is no longer licensed to sell in the United States, and told my Argo dealer that Beaver Dam had improved on his design, and he doesn't mind it. The tracks I am getting are supposed to be better in water or mud than the Escargo tracks, but I guess I will find out. Here is a link to what the tracks look like.

Gallery

Mine will be all steel, with no plastic. From the research that my Argo dealer has done, the plastic does two things. It reduces weight, and makes it easier to travel on pavement or hard pack dirt. My goal is pure traction. I know the Argo rubber tracks are quite good in many instances, but they are pretty much worthless in water, and that is such a huge part of the Argo ability, I just can't see buying them. I know this may be flawed, but I decided on the Escargo, or similar style track by literally watching every video I could find, and carefully seeing what each track could do. I also read every video comment, and the posts here at 6X6 World. In my opinion, I have not seen anything that can offer superior traction in all possible conditions than the Escargo style track. Some tracks are good in mud, some in snow, some over rocks, and some are good all purpose tracks, but the best all round results and comments I have seen are the Escargo style tracks. I do think the squared ends, with the little cups can add to water, mud and snow travel. I am getting the optional winter kit, so if ever I run into a 100 foot snow storm, then I am prepared. Every bit of research that both myself, and the many hours done by my Argo dealer have accomplished, is to design my Avenger to be ready in the best way possible for any and all conditions. In so many ways, it will be total overkill, but that is exactly what I want. I will post pictures and videos of how the new Escargo style tracks perform. They are different from the original Escargo tracks, but it has become next to impossible to get them into the United States. I hope all the many hours of homework have paid off.

Steve

They look pretty interesting. Hopefully they are priced comparable to the others!
    8 wheels are better then 4!

Scimansteve, the beaver Dam tracks will require a larger wheel spacer than most tracks, which means you will need to have a custom track tuner made to match. There are pluses and minuses to the altered grouser shape, but the most important advice I can give you is to use track tuners no matter what Chris at beaver Dam or anyone else for that matter tells you. That track style absolutely requires it for the best performance so that your cvt doesn't constantly attempt to gear you down. Track tuners no matter what, I am honestly trying to help you my friend, I've run them all-Buzz

We have track tuners. I saw them last Saturday, and they are very well built. I was impressed, and so was my Argo dealer. The Escargo guy in Canada also said they are needed so they were purchased from Adair Argo. They are extremely well machined, and very rugged. A good part of both my and my Argo dealers homework was to listen to those who have experience with Escargo tracks. This Argo build is the combined result of lots of research, and it doesn't matter whether it is an Argo part or third-party. We are constructing the best Avenger possible.

Steve

Did you get the HT transmission ?

Yes. The HT transmission, and beadlock tires. Every item, whether Argo or third-party is the highest quality we could find. Even the Mercury outboard motor has electric start, and electric trim. To me this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I hope that both myself and my Argo dealer have made the best decisions possible. If a part doesn't exist, it will be custom made. I expect delivery by October, but the outboard motor won't be here until November. I can't wait to get home from work during a blizzard and hop in the Argo. I have only driven one about 100 feet, and I am very anxious to get some time to test the design experience the joy of knowing I would have to work really hard to get stuck. Even if I can get it stuck, I have a land anchor.

Steve

In this part of southern Ontario there are so many little bodies of water to cross and most shores are slippery granite rock. We have found that metal or plastic tracks will not climb steep slippery granite rock.

That makes sense to me. I would think rubber would be the best for wet rocks. We I used to go mountain climbing, rubber soles were a big help. I chose tracks that I thought would be the best for as many conditions as possible. The irony is that I chose tracks based on videos, and comments. For the particular set of Beaver Dam tracks I am getting, I haven't seen any video. The true Escargo tracks from Canada are just not available in the US, and the Canadian Escargo dealer even said the Beaver Dam tracks were better than his. Time will tell.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread