electrical issues, starter

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: electrical issues, starter

electrical issues, starter

Hi, When I got to the argo and try to start it nothing happened ( an hour before everything was fine. No power at all, no fan, nothing, not starting. The battery was very hot and the red wire. I tried to start it with booster pack on the starter solonoide It spins but the bendic doesn't catch. Also the alligator clamp froze together, can't open it anymore.
    Is that starter problem, Could it be a short on the starter or a wire that touches steel somewhere
    Jack

Sounds to me like either the starter itself or the motor is seized.

Try pulling the starter motor off and see if it will spin without the engine attached. One cable from the booster pack on the terminal the other on the case and cross the solenoid over.

While its off try turning the engine by hand.
    Something is causing the starter to draw an excessive amount of current.

Hi and thank you. If I have to pull the starter do I have to remove the engine. Hopefully not since my argo is way back in the bush. When I jumped it the solonoid turn easy but doesn't catch the fly wheel
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by brebett View Post
    Hi and thank you. If I have to pull the starter do I have to remove the engine. Hopefully not since my argo is way back in the bush. When I jumped it the solonoid turn easy but doesn't catch the fly wheel
    Really not sure. New to Argos myself.
    Just going by your description of a Hot battery and cable.
    Could be something else entirely but doing that will at least narrow things down.

Others with more Argo experience may have better answers soon.

Hi, i forgot to mention that on the way to the camp, first I had to change a plug' after about 15 minutes it started to jerk, back fire and black smoke, I barely made it to the camp. I tought that there was water in the gas. I said to myself if I can make it to the camp (about 25 minutes) I'll check it over there. When I went to start it then nothing happened, no juice no where, no fan ,no lights atc
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by brebett View Post
    Hi, When I got to the argo and try to start it nothing happened ( an hour before everything was fine. No power at all, no fan, nothing, not starting. The battery was very hot and the red wire. I tried to start it with booster pack on the starter solonoide It spins but the bendic doesn't catch. Also the alligator clamp froze together, can't open it anymore.
    Is that starter problem, Could it be a short on the starter or a wire that touches steel somewhere
    Sounds like a short maybe, could be a bad ground, lack of power could be blown fuse depending on model. Sounds like a conquest which has a 30 amp fuse, I have seen them melt a fuse block.
    Check your connections first, look for a pinched wire, note the early avengers leads were sometimes pinched before the seat was hinged by the seat locators.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Hi, thank you everybody. I took the starter out. It runs good. Now I have to check all the wire to see where is the short. It was an easy task to take the starter out but it will be different to put it back I will need lots of patience unless I get lucky and find the bolt hole
    Jack

Had a similar problem with my 2008 Avenger. After troubleshooting it at the hunting camp, I discovered that the main fuse feeding the ignition and all accessories was corroded and charred. There was voltage present on both sides of the fuse but the resistance of the holder was enough to cause the machine to appear as totally dead. Tried boosting with no success. Tried cleaning the holder but didn't have the right tools for that job. I ended up cutting the wire and attaching it directly to the wire from the battery and the engine fired up like new! The fuse holders appear cheap and somewhat flakey. I'm looking into replacing the existing fuse block with something more robust.

Thank you everybody for your help. I finally fixed it. The starter was shut and the battery. There was the red wire kinked between the gas tank, the body and the steel frame. I had to cut part of the body to get it out.
    There is also a loud sound from the front right. The chain seems ok. When I I hit the steering to turn right then the sound is on the same side. Funny because the chain dont turn on that side. What else could be the problem beside loose chain.
    Jack

+ Reply to Thread