EFI Frontier problem (Kohler EFI)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EFI Frontier problem (Kohler EFI)

EFI Frontier problem (Kohler EFI)

OK, so I dont get to use my argo very often. It has 99 miles and about 35 hours on it. It will be 3 years old next month. The machine has killed the battery when it sits from day one, never a big deal but it does it. Yesterday I unload the machine (it lives in an enclosed trailer in a barn) and the battery was COMPLETELY dead, no juice AT ALL. I swapped a good battery into it from my generator and put the charger on it for a while. Last time I let is sit for a while it was hard to start due to fuel draining back into the tank. I was going to hit it with starting fluid this time so I wouldnt have to crank so long. I pulled the air filter cover off, and tried the starter--nothing. I assumed it was lack of gas so I bumped it with ether and tried again--NOTHING. checked spark-none. I pulled the fuel lines off the mechanical pump and had plenty of fuel flow, pulled the wires to the fan off so I could hear the HP fuel pump cycle and it runs continuously with the ignition on. I have NO check engine light-not even a bulb check. I tried pulling codes and no light at all. I dont know for sure that its ever came on, do they? Are they wired in? SO, long story short the kohler dealer (good friend) says all things point to a faulty ECU. Anyone else have any ECU issues with an efi kohler? Everyone says they are buletproof but who knows. I have one on a mower that has been GREAT, but its a completely different EFI system. when I get it fixed it will get an optima battery and a manual kill switch-$200 for an ECU is not something I plan to do again. It should be under warranty from kohler but I can see them not warrantying this problem because of the battery issue. FYI I have used my battery charger on the battery before to get it back hot enough to start the machine after trying and not having enough left in it to start it-apparently thats a no no..

Jason
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

Just finished putting the Argo back together. The ECM WAS FAULTY. Not sure why, not sure if it will be warrantied or not but at least its back running. FYI, Still do NOT have a check engine light on the dash. No bulb check, no code read possible. Not sure why. I was assured by a dealer that the check engine light DOES function on these machines, unsure why mine is not. Bad digital display (bulb etc) or not wired in? Hope to get that figured out soon, but at least I can use the machine.

Jason
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

contact your argo dealer big time

MY argo dealer is in Adair Ia, I am in Birmingham AL. There is an argo dealer close, but they only sell the HDI unit (wont even order anything else) and I doubt they are a kohler repair center. Machine is OUT of argo warranty, but has one month left of the Kohler engine warranty. These things are so different to work on, not too many kohler dealers will touch them-its not like working on a lawn mower. I think I am on my own with this one, but I feel like its in good hands this way. I am an accomplished mechanic, with tons of tools and the willingness to repair things correctly. all too often "mechanics" dont really care about what they are working on and leave things a little half assed. Not all, but a lot.

Jason

so what will you be fixing or attempting to fix if you do your own work?

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    so what will you be fixing or attempting to fix if you do your own work?
    oh boy! hes trying to create a 3 cycle machine like yours curtis.

Well, I have replaced the ECU to get the machine running and now I am going to figure out why I have no check engine light. Thats a fairly necessary thing on an EFI engine.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jtb51b View Post
    Well, I have replaced the ECU to get the machine running and now I am going to figure out why I have no check engine light. Thats a fairly necessary thing on an EFI engine.

Jason
    Should the check engine light appear on the display when turning the key to “on” ?
    I’ll have to check my display...

I spoke to a couple dealers that say yes. Both Adair and another in Nashville TN. I really dont recall ever seeing it on mine, but I never looked! I do know it should flash codes if you cycle the key correctly. Mine does not, not even an all clear code.

Jason

3 cycle yeah

+ Reply to Thread