Trouble installing chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trouble installing chain

Trouble installing chain

Had the front left bearing go bad, just got done replacing but when I went to reinstall the front chain its short by one link (one link short after master) I cant quite figure out how this would be or why. Anyone have suggestion or thought?

Sometimes they go on like a charm, and then sometimes it takes hours to fight one on.

Quote Originally Posted by vipercwf View Post
    Had the front left bearing go bad, just got done replacing but when I went to reinstall the front chain its short by one link (one link short after master) I cant quite figure out how this would be or why. Anyone have suggestion or thought?
    If you haven't got it yet, hold both ends of the chain and turn the wheel as far as you can without dropping the chain in both directions. You should fell a noticeable move in the chain after the folded kink straightens.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

if ya take the front tire and the centire tire and spin them towards each other it willdroppthe tension span but you need to keep them steady like that it willgain you a good half to a inch extra play

Well I was finally able to get it. I realized I didnt have all the wheels off the ground completely and in doing so it gave the extra but of slack that was needed. I was able to get the chain off just how i had it previously so it wasnt crossing my mind. Had to still roll the tires towards each other to get the pin and plates fitted in right so that did help. Thanks for the advice.

Any tips for doing this with tracks installed? You can’t really rotate the tires towards each other. I could remove the tracks, but am hoping for an easier way. I’m replacing both front chains.

maybe with the machine up off the ground so there is slack in the tracks...and let the air out of the tires , you may have enough slack to be able to rotate the tires toward each other so the underside of the chain is tight and top of chain is loose enough to pull together and connect. a cable tie can draw the chain pretty tight to get the link in. maybe this will work, good luck...j.b.

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckTour View Post
    Any tips for doing this with tracks installed? You can’t really rotate the tires towards each other. I could remove the tracks, but am hoping for an easier way. I’m replacing both front chains.
    I have worked on the chains with the tracks on, but coming from my experience, it isn't worth the grief! I bet it takes about 10 minutes to drop the tracks and put them back on.. You'll save that alone on the first 2 chains you work on.. The tracks will be fighting you all the way..
    With the tracks off, is it worth pulling and cleaning the rest of your chains? Slider blocks on the tensioners? Just a thought..

I take the tracks off every time I replace chains. I built a track tool to assist me to get the tracks back on. It comes in handy as I always felt that three hands made quicker work than two, but since making the track tool two hands can do the process pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I take the tracks off every time I replace chains. I built a track tool to assist me to get the tracks back on. It comes in handy as I always felt that three hands made quicker work than two, but since making the track tool two hands can do the process pretty quickly.
    What kinda tool did you make? I drive my machine on 2 ratchet straps, empty the air from all 8 tires and pull the track pin. Putting them on, I use the ratchet strap to tighten them up and take the slack out of them to make the pin fit fairly easily..

+ Reply to Thread