Predator 22hp Twin install in an Argo Vanguard II. Need Clutch recommendations

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Predator 22hp Twin install in an Argo Vanguard II. Need Clutch recommendations

Predator 22hp Twin install in an Argo Vanguard II. Need Clutch recommendations

I have acquired an Argo Vanguard II in pretty good shape. The motor was locked up so I purchased a 22hp Predator motor from Harbor Freight. Before anyone yells at me for purchasing a Chinese motor, I am pleased with the purchase. My driven clutch is missing shoes and has snapped the C ring on the back so it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. The Drive clutch is stuck to the old motor and after looking at the inside of it, it needs a rebuild or replace as well. My question is, do I take the time to order parts and rebuild, or do I go with a 780 setup. I am open to suggestions and will also need the belt to match. I want the most reliable setup I can get for the money. Thank you all in advance for your input.

Welcome Vanguard. I don't think anyone is going to yell at you for the Predator. There are quite a few satisfied Predator owners on this site.

As to the clutches, it just depends on how much you want to spend on this project. Personally, because I'm cheap, I would try to rebuild. If the locked-up motor is junk, cut the crank so you can put the clutch in a press and remove it.

Thank you for your reply. I have used all of the tools in my shop so I'm turning the old engine over to a small engine shop here locally to see if they can get it off. I don't know if cheap is the correct term... Frugal maybe? I'm with you, I don't want to spend money unless I have to but it seems I may have to spend some. I was just trying to avoid the high cost of the new Argo clutch as it is about $450 per side. If the shop can get it off I will probably try to rebuild what I have. Thanks for the input.

Well today I bit the bullet and ordered another factory clutch from Adair Argo Sales. I tried to get a substitute and it just was not worth the savings to make something work. I talked to some very nice people from Odd ATV's and Richard's who both said my options were limited because of the distance between the trans and engine on the Argo. I got word back from the small engine repair shop and they would either destroy the old motor or the old clutch and it would still need a rebuild if they were successful in getting it off so that made the choice easy. Thanks to the guys at Adair's for offering better prices than I can get locally and offering friendly service and advice.

On a different note, does anyone know if the factory exhaust manifold from the original Vanguard will bolt up to the Predator motor?

On a different note, does anyone know if the factory exhaust manifold from the original Vanguard will bolt up to the Predator motor?
    No but the manifold should be easy to fab.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

yes it shouldn't be too hard. The exhaust on the new Predator is huge so I may just find a way to route it out of the Argo. I would think it's pretty quiet, but I have a lot to do before I'm close to that. Thanks for the reply

I am doing a similar engine swap except I am going with a 28HP Subaru motor with a 1 1/8 shaft. I was planning to use a Comet Model 94C clutch.....any feedback on this would be very much appreciated. I am also concerned about clutch alignment and how well the comet will work with the existing driven clutch on the tranny of my 1998 Vanguard? Any concerns with this plan?? Thanks!

My discussion with the guys over at Richard's was the Comet will work, but the two use different width belts. The Argo belt is wider than the one used by Comet and they will not match. You would have to match both clutches of the same series or the adjustment will not be correct. The next problem you have is finding the proper belt to work because the distance between the engine and transmission requires a long belt. I did talk to the guy at Odd ATV and he called Comet directly and came up with a combination that would work. He also told me to give him the distance between engine and transmission shafts and they could make a belt recommendation. It was easier for me to use a replacement Argo clutch instead of replacing everything. My first call would be Odd Atv, they are really helpful and are Comet dealers. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Rickb, that 28HP Subaru engine looks intriguing. It weighs 16 pounds less than my 9hp Yanmar!

Thanks for the input on the clutch Vanguard.....I was ready to pull the trigger and buy the comet - I thought the specs matched the ARGO belt width of 1-3/16 belt.....there are many comet 94C options (see link below) - I was looking at Part#: 219739A.......would this one not be compatible with the existing driven clutch?

http://www.mfgsupply.com/snowmobile/...wcomet94c.html

+ Reply to Thread