22HP Subaru in ARGO Vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 22HP Subaru in ARGO Vanguard

22HP Subaru in ARGO Vanguard

Put a new 22HP Subaru into my 98 ARGO Vanguard today.....all was well until I fired it up for the first time. I seemed to have switched the power wire on the relay and as soon as I turned the key to the on position I heard a sizzle noise and saw a big puff of white smoke come out from under the engine couling near the fuel pump.....I took the couling off but could not find any burnt wires or melted parts??

I reconnected all the wires properly and the engine turns over, starts, but only runs for a second or two and then dies.

Any ideas what could of fried, and is this why my engine will not run now??

Your help is much appreciated.

Lots of small engines use a fuel shutoff solenoid. They typically take 12 volts to run thru one wire and ground thru the body. Not sure why that would burn up with power, but it definately will stop fuel and therefore the engine. Typically they are screwed into the bottom of the carb, are cylindrical and have one wire. It is not necessary, but is a safety. Some can be bypassed but will have to see yours to see if thats possible.

Jason
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

Thanks Jason, got it running....I think it was a poor ground that caused something to burn.....the scary thing now is that I do not know what burned??? Now that the test run is good, I need to fab exhaust, relocate battery, fab cool air intake, fab hood lift extension, and confirm clutch alignment......can anyone tell me how to align the clutches??? ie. offset? Thanks

+ Reply to Thread