Talk me out of it

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Talk me out of it

Talk me out of it

I have a 2007 Frontier 6x6. I’ve had a mostly love but occasionally hate relationship with it. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting rid of it for a side by side with a dump box. I’ve tried getting a buffalo truck. I’ve been all over the map with where I want to go next. I’ve finally decided and have my wife’s approval on it. That’s probably why I know this is the route to go.

We’ve decided to move rather soon on an 8x8 Argo. I recently had a chance to drive an 8x8 with the admiral transmission and compare it to one with a gen 2. I kind of like the gen 2 more because it’s easier to turn in sharp corners and tight areas, it seems.

I can only get a used, maybe around the early HDI range. Just want Adair tracks and winch. I’ll buy a cab later. Here is the thing: local dealership has a 2007 Avenger with 30 HP engine, which is the engine I wanted. With new chains, bearings, and some new sprockets, they say they want about $8700. I’d probably try to talk them down, of course. Hours are about 760 on it, which seems high.

So, tell me why it’s a bad idea. The gen 2 feels familiar and while I did like the admiral, I didn’t like it as much. I’ve I bought new I’d consider getting the smaller engine not to have it.

I have had both two HDI's with gen 2 trans and now a XTI with the admiral. The admiral wins hands down power while turning,in the mud and with argo rubber tracks. I too thought I would miss the sharp turning of the gen ii but 99% or turning is not that sharp if it is required use use low gear. The machine does not slow down while turning hardly at all due to the 4:1 ratio power split. I do not know exactly what conditions you use yours for but for me there is no comparison. I use mine in a lot of tight spots without any problems. Buy the admiral you will not regret it. 760 hrs on a machine is close to some trans work from my experience especially if the fluids were not changed out regularly.

get the admiral....all day long

+ Reply to Thread