Riding in snow

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Riding in snow

Hi Plott Hound
    I am running 18in. Argo rubber tracks on 2013 avenger. Last argo had 20in tracks unstoppable but took a lot of power to move over 400lbs of track.

i was able to go thru 18'' of snow ( it was still falling at the time ) in my max 2 highboy with the adair shackle tracks. i had added extra belting crossways between the groussers.. i had the tub clearance, but the tracks finally just would not grab. just barely made it into the garage. some wide solid rubber or plastic tracks would have been the ticket probably. wonder how wide a belt could be added to the outside edge of a track ? johnboy va.

Yes an argo with the right tracks will float on 10' of snow if you can find it. The thing about snow is it just keeps getting compacted as more falls on top and becomes a solid base, that's why sleds can get around in the mountains. They sink through the first 1' of powder and grab traction on the progressively more dense layers underneath. Same thing an argo does, but an argo doesn't have the benefit of 100km/h of momentum to get up the near vertical climbs. The best setup is having a "winter kit" or track extensions combined with ice cleats. Adair sells a kit for theirs and escargo does as well I think, can be easily adapted to any belted track for sure. Wouldn't be too difficult a DIY project either if you have the time. Of course you'll still find places to get stuck, snow likes to drift into low spots and make little pockets of super deep powder to bury you in.

The guys in this video know the setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwHdz9raHtI

Quote Originally Posted by allwheeldrive View Post
    There are hundreds of snow pack combinations. i would wager Usually powder snow as you describe only exist for a short while directly after a snow fall. It quickly compacts melts freezes over and over into the hard crusty laminations we are used to. In all my time skiing I’ve never encountered powder more than 6” deep. I’d think you’d need 5 feet of snow in a single storm to get such a scenario. The chances for such a snow condition might not be impossible but it has to be extremely unlikely. So the answer is: Yes an argo on tracks could not drive through 5’ of powder. No: I can’t image in all the miles of Argos driving has this condition presented its self. Mind you if such a deep layer of powder existed. You’d sure as die stepping into it as quick sand and every animal not hibernating would essentially drown.
    I've been skiing for a short time and we've been in knee deep powder a few times...

Quote Originally Posted by CarlR View Post
    With my 2011 HDI and rubber tracks we have no problem in deep Utah powder. The last stretch to my cabin is on a 15 degree grade and I've gone up it with 2 feet of powder, 4 people, and food for the weekend. Sure it slows it down, but the Argo just keeps pulling til we are there. It's FAR better flotation than a UTV on tracks.

Attachment 16667
    Thanks! That's kinda what I was thinking of when I talked to my buddy. All about surface area..

Great insights on snow use!!
    I will be using my Argo for the first time in snow this winter and I have been wondering which gear would be best?
    I have 17" plastic tracks.
    Snowmobiles use speed as an advantage when traversing snow but obviously an Argo cannot reach those speeds.
    Would the higher (faster) gear still be the proper one to use or would low range be better?

Quote Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
    I've been skiing for a short time and we've been in knee deep powder a few times...
    It probably has more to do with the fact that the mountains in my area consistently ice glaze like a parking lot. Any snow is better than ice lol. I recall once during a storm on the mt there was powder past the toes on my boot but that’s the most I’ve seen in years lol.

Anyways back on track, no pun intended ;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_B View Post
    Great insights on snow use!!
    Would the higher (faster) gear still be the proper one to use or would low range be better?
    I’ve been told that with the Admiral transmission, use high gear under all circumstances unless a real tight turning radius is needed. In practice, I’ve found this to be mostly true. I keep mine in high gear even when climbing through powder. I have found that turning in powder can be tough as you are pushing a lot of snow to the side when making a turn. Certainly low gear helps there. I’ve also found some circumstances where the incline or snow levels are just too high to traverse in high gear and drop to low gear whenever forward progress is stopped in high gear. It’s not frequent but I’ve had times when dropping into low gear has been necessary.

I would just like to add a safety reminder to all going out into the snow this year. Getting stuck or broke down in the woods in deep snow is a whole different proposition than at other times of year. Take safety gear and supplies, including snow shoes. No machine should be trusted with your life or your loved ones’ lives. Buddy up whenever possible and while it’s ok to flash a grin at those snowmobilers all bundled up for the weather, you may need them if you break down. Oh, and never leave home without a spare drive belt!

with your machine craig I'm thinking low gear.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlR View Post
    With my 2011 HDI and rubber tracks we have no problem in deep Utah powder. The last stretch to my cabin is on a 15 degree grade and I've gone up it with 2 feet of powder, 4 people, and food for the weekend. Sure it slows it down, but the Argo just keeps pulling til we are there. It's FAR better flotation than a UTV on tracks.

Attachment 16667
    damn carl,that looks like some nice riding.what elevation are you at?

+ Reply to Thread