Riding in snow

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riding in snow

Hybrid View

Riding in snow

So a friend of mine asked, and I wasn't sure, so here is his question...

Does deep snow or hard packed snow stop an argo? I've got an '07 Avenger with tracks and have been in 2-3' of light powder and had no issues.. Would a crust on the snow cause issues? I know that the larger surface area keeps the ground pressure low, but I wasn't sure if there was reasonable limitations.. I told him that in 5' of snow, you might wanna look at a sled for sure..

Every off-road vehicle has limitations but tracks increase your ability to traverse more extreme conditions...5 feet of hard pack shouldn’t give you problems wth the right cleats but powder is a different story. Remember the Argo is basically a boat on wheels and it will want to “float” in deep powder as will a sled, leaving you high centered. Difference is a sled will power you through (to a degree) with horsepower and RPM’s as long as you can stay afloat! Slow down or tip a sled over and it’s over (until you get it unstuck)

i just went 1' of snow powder and the argo have hard time to go max speed maybe 10 km/h it almost stop on a very small hill. The oil light went on its a brand new argo.....

Quote Originally Posted by alain View Post
    i just went 1' of snow powder and the argo have hard time to go max speed maybe 10 km/h it almost stop on a very small hill. The oil light went on its a brand new argo.....
    What transmission ratio did you order?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

i didnt know that i have a choice of transmission?

my 2012 hdi will destroy at least 2ft of powder running rubber tracks.its like theres no snow at all.

Quote Originally Posted by alain View Post

Once you get into snow deeper than the machine has ground clearance I see no reason why any more depth would cause any more or less difficulty. It’s sort of like saying how deep of water can a boat float on? 12” or 12’ if your pressure is low its low. I know snow wheelers with 54” tall tires running 1-2PSI that drive around on 15’ of snow.

Hills are going to be the majority of problems since snow mobiles can sometimes only clime these with momentum. In much the same way a Polaris Turbo Razor can climb a dirt hill an Argo couldn’t via a running start.

Although we usually don't get much snow in NC, we love using our rubber tracks for snow. It rides really smooth and we haven't had any clearance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by allwheeldrive View Post
    I see no reason why any more depth would cause any more or less difficulty. It’s sort of like saying how deep of water can a boat float on? 12” or 12’
    Think about 5 feet of powder snow...The Argo wheels/tracks couldn't possibly reach solid ground when "afloat" on that powder. The tracks would simply spin once the snow under the Argo packed down enough...then where's the traction to move forward? Then, if it did mire itself enough to make contact with hard ground, you would be up to your kazoo in powder snow with nowhere to go except back where you came from...maybe.

+ Reply to Thread