16 hp tecumseh engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 16 hp tecumseh engine

16 hp tecumseh engine

I just bought a 6 wheel argo with a 1988 16 hp Tecumseh engine and lost the engine . I bought another used engine and put it in but I am getting motor oil in the fuel pump vacuum line. Could I use a 12 volt low pressure fuel pump to eliminate the problem?

Welcome picker. An electric pump should work just fine as long as its pressure is low enough so that it doesn't force fill the carb.

But what is causing it to do that thanks

I have to guess at the answer because I have never been into one of those, but here goes. The pumping action is caused by a pulse which is caused by a change in air pressure in the crank case as the piston goes through its travels. I guess your fuel pump is connected to the crank case via the rubber hose. So my assumption is the engine is "pushing" oil into the line. I would look at the following things:
    1) Is there a crankcase vent somewhere and is it stopped up?
    2) Too much oil?
    3) Low compression/blowby creating excessive pressure in the crankcase, thus pushing oil into the tube?
    4) Riding on very steep slopes such that oil gets poured into places that it shouldn't (not likely, but maybe)?

When oil accumulates in the line, does the fuel pump quit working?
    Does the engine run and perform as it should, except for this problem?

I did not notice a crankcase vent on it. The oil is correct. The compression is 97 psi. The slope is not really steep and it will work with the oil in the line but not a smooth idle or easy start.

Also when I use the 12 volt pump , do you block the vacuum line from the base or do you leave it open?

I see the comp is good you may want to do a leak down test and see if you are losing pressure to the crankcase. Also as mentioned check breather is open and muffler is free and no restriction. Also keep in mind Tecumseh parts are getting a bit harder to find. You could do a repower and proudly be better off. I do farm tractors and small engines so I have seen this before.

So how do you do a leak down test and when you say repower , what do you mean? Also my question of blocking the vacuum line from the base when I change to a 12 volt pump, so do I plug it or not? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by the picker View Post
    I did not notice a crankcase vent on it. The oil is correct. The compression is 97 psi. The slope is not really steep and it will work with the oil in the line but not a smooth idle or easy start.
    The machine should have a crankcase vent or breather mounted on the top of the valve cover and hooked to a tube running down the side of the head. If you go electric then yes cap/plug off the pulse line port.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks for that info. But looking for another opinion of why I am getting oil in the pulse vacuum line.

+ Reply to Thread