Rollover Protection ??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rollover Protection ??

Anyone got a rollbar for a maxIV for sale??

Quote Originally Posted by smokin cigarettes View Post
    Anyone got a rollbar for a maxIV for sale??
    build your own 1.625" pipe 11ga wall. and i'm sure you can get a muffler shop or a welding shop to bend it for you . you will also need a 1.50"x2,00 "x3/16 "thick angel . robbie
    Last edited by rdr; 10-26-2008 at 01:24 PM.
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Roll bars

I have bars on mine but I would not call it a roll bar. It is not attached to the frame at all. I havn't used it yet but it looks like it was only used for putting a tarp over to keep the rain off. I hae only used it for getting in and out of the machine.

ROP

I have an Avenger 2006. So here goes my opinion.

My Avenger(in my opinion)is a very stable platform. With the engine in the front it seems to be very stable when hill climbing. I try not to test it on too steep a hill for the very reason of this topic. I would rather just have fun then come home hurt.

It doesn't have the top end speed of some of the other AATV's but we all manage to get to the same place. All machines have +'s and -'s. I see on some of the rides where the guys with Roll Cages have to find a different route but, i am wider than some machines so i also have to seek a different route occasionally. (all just minor distractions)

The skill of the driver and terrain becomes a major player in a lot of cases. Side rollover is another case where a roll cage may benefit the driver and passengers. The Avenger weighs in at about 1150 lbs. Having this big thing laying on top me is not a pleasant thought, so i try to avoid this or exercise extreme caution. If carrying passengers i have made them get out until the danger is over or i will find another route.

Rock has presented some good reasons not to use a roll cage because of his experiences with the tree limbs. Haven't had that happen yet so that is another issue to think about.

I chose not to run the roll cage for several reasons.
    Not enough speed about 18-20mph flat out, which is only done on flat ground and i run in low gear most of the time in the trails.
    My machine cost to much to tear up and i am older and don't heal as well anymore.
    With the machine leaning to one side or the other the cage can get caught on the trees, the cage projects out past the body now.

I have seen an Avenger that has rolled down a hill and flipped backwards into a creek, tore it up pretty good. Even with a roll cage and no seat belt(which he did not have either) he would have still been thrown backwards, that would have been nasty. Talked with the fellow and he said he was doing something dumb and knew better. Lucky no one was hurt, he bailed out.

I personally have no plans to install a roll cage at the present time or in the near future.

Just a thought: You can roll or flip anything if you try had enough.
    This is all my opinion:

Enjoy you machine
    and ride safe

Lewis

If I drive up to a large limb that will extend into my roll cage , I use my Large limb prunner to remove it so it does,nt injure me . I like to ride slow most of the time to minimize discomfort , and the trails we ride on are free of limbs most of the time. Because of the number of people that ride at River Run Park , large , low hanging limbs , are not a problem. When confronted with a large , low hanging limb , most people either remove them or drive around them on the trail.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 10-26-2008 at 08:47 AM.

LOL. "Limbs" are not the problem for me, it's the "Swamp Spruce" trees that get pushed over and driven over. They end up like little spears, all interlaced togeather, and still attached to the ground at the root. You can never tell just what will kick up at any given time.

On another note, I have never seen "seatbelts" in an Argo.......How are they mounted, and to what?
    (I'm having visions of a seatbelt end dropping into the drive chains here)

RD

I can't even remember how many times I've rolled my cars. The first time I rolled without a roll cage was the last time I ever rode without a roll cage. I was trapped underneath a Max II & was lucky enough to have ENOUGH friends around to lift it off of me. But I have to agree, it is all about where & how you ride. If I had to dodge tree limbs all the time with or without a roll cage, I would definetly be wearing a helmet with a visor on it. And the cage is not enough. You need to be strapped in. These pics are of one time I never even used the roll cage, but I was sure glad I had it. The Model Citizen rolled (endoed) only once on level ground (balloon tires), but because she was strapped in, it landed back on all 6 wheel & she avoided getting seriously hurt. In fact, it was over so quick, she actually enjoyed it.

Whipper
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    I can't even remember how many times I've rolled my cars. The first time I rolled without a roll cage was the last time I ever rode without a roll cage. I was trapped underneath a Max II & was lucky enough to have ENOUGH friends around to lift it off of me. But I have to agree, it is all about where & how you ride. If I had to dodge tree limbs all the time with or without a roll cage, I would definetly be wearing a helmet with a visor on it. And the cage is not enough. You need to be strapped in. These pics are of one time I never even used the roll cage, but I was sure glad I had it. The Model Citizen rolled (endoed) only once on level ground (balloon tires), but because she was strapped in, it landed back on all 6 wheel & she avoided getting seriously hurt. In fact, it was over so quick, she actually enjoyed it.

Whipper
    damn whipper that was fast . and wide opean robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    These pics are of one time I never even used the roll cage, but I was sure glad I had it.
    Whipper
    Let me guess, you drove off acting like the flip didn't happen at all?
    (Or would have if something that broke hadn't? )
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

I have a 02 conquest 6x6 which came with a factory roll bar and seat belts. It is not the "ROPS" but just a roll bar behind the seat. The seat belts connect to the rollbar and a bracket that is sandwhiched between the upper and lower body. I've never used the seat belts and only use the roll bar for ice fishing--afraid of sliding sideways on glare ice and hitting a frozen clump of ice or drift and rolling over.

+ Reply to Thread