Rollover Protection ??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rollover Protection ??

Rollover Protection ??

I see from a lot of the pictures on here that very few ARGOS have roll Bars and almost all Max and many other brands have them so my question ? are ARGOS more stable and most of you feel they are not necessary or is there some other reason , my kids are going out more by themselves now and I am wondering if a roll bar is needed or just more for looks , I am really looking for your honest opinion .

i think it's more a matter of oppinion and how each person will use a machine. my argo doesn't go anywhere fast, so i didn't put rollbar at the top of the list for it (although it will get one eventually) my Attex will probably go fast better than it willl do anything else, so the cage is a high priority. just my 2 cents, kids + AATV = need for rollbar and belts
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    i think it's more a matter of oppinion and how each person will use a machine. my argo doesn't go anywhere fast, so i didn't put rollbar at the top of the list for it (although it will get one eventually) my Attex will probably go fast better than it willl do anything else, so the cage is a high priority. just my 2 cents, kids + AATV = need for rollbar and belts
    amen race . jest depends how and where you use it . me i have turned my max II over a bunch of times . but i put it in places i know that it a good possibily it will turn over so i know it needed one my max IV will probley see it soon enought . so it got one asap . rool bars save lives with seat belts . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Depending on your riding conditions, rollbars can be good or bad. I have seen guys hurt VERY bad, and almost killed, on several occasions, becouse they had rollbars on their machines.
    Some of the trails we ride have lots of bent and broken trees. The following examples hit pretty close to home for me:
    I was riding with a friend, he had rollbars. He drove over a stick, that "kicked up" the tip of a small, pushed over Spruce tree. The Spruce tree tip was caught inside one of the forward rollcage bars. Before the driver knew what happened, the tree had DRIVEN into the passenger area of the Argo, straigh at the base of my throat. Shear LUCK and INSTINCT brought my hand up enough to deflect the stick just enough to miss my throat (It DID drive through the collar of my t-shirt and scrape my neck). Driver catches the action out of the cornner of his eye, and slammed on the brakes. I was holding the tree away from my neck, the tip was at least 2 feet past me, and almost jammed into the eye of the drivers wife (She was sitting behind the driver)

Another VERY similar incident happened to a friend, although he was not so lucky. While driving his machine a "redirected" tree DID drive through his neck. The pain was enough to cause him to pass-out, he woke up about 2 hrs later with his dog licking his face. He still had the tree through his neck, it was kinda keeping him propped up in the seat. The FOOL, broke off the end of the tree, then pulled it out of his neck. He made it to the hospitol, and has fully recovered, but has massive scars. The doc said he missed his jugular vien by 1 mm (less than 1/16")

This one scared me the most:
    Driving my Argo, (I had my top on, I don't have a rollcage) I had the end of a tree drive into the fabric of the passenger side. I was going slow, and watching for just this kind of thing, but by the time I stopped, the end of the tree had driven into the back of the Argo and stopped within about 2 inches of the side of my 10month old daughters head (She was strapped into her carseat, behind me).

I don't know of anyone that runs a rollcage up here anymore.

Argo's are not impossible to roll, but where I ride you would really have to work at it (within reason, of course). My view is that "Youngsters" should be supervised untill they are good enough to keep the machine out of that kind of situation to begin with.

On a less serious note, I have found that rollbars are nothing more than a PITA when trying to navigate a tight trail, hanging you up in the trees all the time.
    I find that Argo's ARE very stable, and it seems to me that most drivers will "Chicken out" long before the machine is in danger of rollover.

Nothing more than my 2 bits

Take it easy, and be safe

RD

I,ve had thoughts some times of removing the factory roll bar off of my Max IV when I could not drive under a fallen tree or a large tree limb hanging down because of the roll bar. But , at other times the roll bar on my Max IV is a big advantage when I,m trying to drive through a thick mud hole with little water on top of it. At times like this I,ve hung off the sides of my roll bar, locked my throttle on with a zip tie , and used the roll bar for leverage. So for me , my roll bar is more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

roll bar

some interesting views , I would like to hear from some other ARGO owners as to how they feel about the stability of thier machines , as I stated in the original post I do not see many ARGOs with roll bars and I am only guessing it is because they feel the machines don't need them as badly as other machines ????

my argo is VERY stable, but as i said earlier, i will put a cage on it. i'm not as stable the machine. i have only had it a few months, and only on one real ride. but at buzco i took it over some serious stuff. there was never a time that i felt like it would tip. there were a few times on that ride that those with cages had to find alternate routes due to fallen trees, but the argo will drive over about anything, so making your own path isn't too big a problem. i think you just have to evaluate where you or the kids will be going with the machine, and the driving style (kids have poor judgment if you hadn't noticed) and make a decision from there
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Gotta keep in mind, us that are saying, Argo, no problem with being tippy.. happen to be 8 wheel drivers. The 6's are another story.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Smile Roll Bars===ROPS

The rops for my Avenger is held on by 4 bolts. I put it on and take it off in minutes. The convertable roof and windows are very expensive. If I have the roof on and intend to go through the woods ,I put the ROPS on. If other people,especially young ones were driving my machine,I would also put the Rops on for sure. The rest of the time it's your call,in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary F View Post
    some interesting views , I would like to hear from some other ARGO owners as to how they feel about the stability of thier machines , as I stated in the original post I do not see many ARGOs with roll bars and I am only guessing it is because they feel the machines don't need them as badly as other machines ????
    as i said depends on where you ride . a pancake is a pancake does not matter what mechine it is . don't rember if it is on here or on bradoned site you will see a 6x6 argo flat on the ground upside down . no way you would have walked out of it un hurt .
    Last edited by rdr; 10-25-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

+ Reply to Thread