6 wheeler vs. 8 wheeler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6 wheeler vs. 8 wheeler

6 wheeler vs. 8 wheeler

Hi all members, this is my first post on this site.
    I do not have an Argo right now but before I invest, I want to learn and get the opinion of experienced members. I'm debating between a 6 wheeler or 8.
    I would really like to get some feedback on both; advantages and so on.

Thank you

Monoxid

Hello and welcome to the amphibious forum There are lots of Argo members on this forum , and the Argo you need depends on what you want to use it for. If you are a person who mainly wants to trail ride, most members like the Argo 6x6 ,because its easier to turn in tight places , but, if you are wanting a machine for hauling loads , and will seat 4 adults, the Argo 8x8 is the Argo for you. The people that own the Argo 8x8,s all say they ride better than the Argo 6x6,s.

Talking

All I can say is my Bigfoot 6x6 rocks fer me, but ever since I bought it, I've been savin me pennies for an Avenger 8x8.
    Call me crazy, but I want both of em!!!

8x8 or 6x6

Hi Monxid,
    Have a 2006 Avenger and really enjoy it. I ride with the Carolina Boy and they have 6x6's, Max's and Argo's. They all are good. The Avenger gives me the ability to carry more people and cargo. It does good in mud but does not have the same ability as the Bigfoot in the tight trails but we always seem to get where we are going. The 8x8 Avenger is a very stable machine in the water and as i have a 9.9 Mariner it moves well in the water. When picking your machine you have to decide what you want out of it. I enjoy being able to carry most any thing that i want and the storage area of the Avenger gives me this ability. Very seldom will you every load one up with people on a trail ride but you can and still have the power to pull. Good luck on your choice you will have a great time with any that you select.

I have an argo bigfoot 6x6 and that seems to be just fine for now. I have been in some pretty crazy places with it and it comes out the other side with no problem. I have never been in an 8x8 so I can't compare. I am hoping someday to buy a mudd-ox 8x8. I have to finish building my house first before anymore toys

Don't worry about tight trails, the 8x8 is a better machine. That being said, the 6x6 is way faster. It sucks on dry, rough trails if your friends are on quads, Rhino's etc...but when you catch up at the mud, you leave them behind.

Way more stability on ledges etc...maybe feels too safe.
    2008 Argo Avenger EFI 8x8
    2001 Argo Bigfoot 6x6

[QUOTE=lager99;31350]Don't worry about tight trails, the 8x8 is a better machine. That being said, the 6x6 is way faster. It sucks on dry, rough trails if your friends are on quads, Rhino's etc...but when you catch up at the mud, you leave them behind.QUOTE]

Yeah, and end up having to tow their happy a**es out of that mud as well, which gets them in front again.

Anymore, when I'm out riding, if someone asks me to get their rig out of the mud or a ditch, and I don't know them, I charge $20.00, because it takes away from my play time. Might as well make a buck or two while helping out. Besides, a tow truck operator would charge a hell of alot more than that! I only charge $10.00 for dragging out a boat, but in those instances, boats are easy, what with no friction.
    Last edited by Storms; 01-22-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Welcome to the site

I'm sure you must have read the previous threads on this topic, there have been a few. Here is my 2 bits, for what it's worth
    I have both, and the best way to describe it is:
    6x6 is for fun, 8x8 is for haulin' stuff. They are both fun, and they both will haul extra stuff to some extent (They cannot be compared, the 8x8 will haul everything the 6x6 will haul + the 6x6 if needed).
    I have never seen one go where the other will not. But the 6x6 will get you there faster IF you can take the beating. The 6x6 IS a rougher ride.
    Most 8x8 owners that I know say they would like a 6x6 as a second machine.
    Most 6x6 owners that I know say they wished they had bought an 8x8.

You have to understand that MOST AATV use in my area is work related, or Hunting/Camping related. The biggest reason that the 8x8 is more popular around here is the load capacity. There is VERY LITTLE recreational riding here with this type of machine.

After re-reading this post, it almost sounds like I am SLAMMING 6x6's.............I am NOT. They are great machines, and have there place. Like I said, I have one too. I just don't find it suits my needs...........at times

RD

As far as keeping up with others I don't have to worry because I have no one to ride with anyway. So any long rides I have my wife and two little ones with me so we just put along and have a good time. When I find a place to play it usually is a big water hole so it's not rough anyway.

+ Reply to Thread