Adjusting idle on Vanguard motor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting idle on Vanguard motor

Adjusting idle on Vanguard motor

Stupid question, where is the adjustment for the idle on the 23hp Vanguard in my Frontier? Once the motor run a little hot I have a hard time putting it in reverse, it grinds. If it sits idling for 4-5 minutes then there's no problem. I'm assuming it might be idling a little to fast. If that doesn't solve it I'll bring it to the dealer for some adjustments.

Thanks

Steve, I scratched my head over that for a minute too. With the body on my Max, it was hard to find but on mine it is under the air cleaner right where the arrow is. You kinda have to push the rubber back a little to find it.

Also, if your engine is idling fine but you are still grinding bad, you may need to adjust the distance between your engine and trans a little until it stops engaging.

But it really sounds like the idle is your problem. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Attached Images

Your Frontier idle adjustment is similar to the picture Mike posted. However, on the 23hp engine, the cover is solid plastic instead of the previous style of slotted metal plate. Standing at the front of your Frontier, there is a plastic cover just below the air box on the left. Carefully remove the two small screws holding it on, being very careful not to drop them as you'll never see them again. Use a mirror to see the idle adjustment screw on the carb. There is also a 1/4 turn black screw that sometimes does wonders for carb adjustment. One of those two will probably fix you right up. If not, your belt could be to tight and that is adjusted by the trans clutch.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Thanks Mike and Brandon,

So I removed the plastic cover plate, used my wifes mirror on her makeup compact and managed to get the screwdriver in there after doing a bunch of backward maneuvres because everything is backward in the mirror. Turn the screw a bit and the engire idles faster, good I got the right screw, turn a bit in the other direction, nothing, a little more, still nothing, a little more, *ping* the screw and spring goes flying. I look around in the tub, no, they stayed somewhere in the engine. I can hear them rattle in the shroud when I shake it. Hopefuly they'll find there way out after a ride this week end or the dealer can find it when it goes it for it's first service. But it didn't doo anything for my idle.

Brandon, the black 1/4 turn screw you're talking about, is it a plastic screw with kind of a lever on it that runs horizontaly on top of the carb? I saw those and didn't know what it was.

Angry

BC Steve,
    Did you get your idle issue fixed because I have the exact same issue. After hearing about your frustration I thought I would wait for your soloution and see if it is something I can do myself or is it a trip to the dealer for a little tweek. This is driving me nuts and nothing grinds my gears more than that grinding sound or simply not being able to get it in gear.

looking forward to hearing from you.

Kevin
    Ya ain't stuck til the winch cable comes out!!!

I believe the idle screw everybody is talking about is for the minimum un-governed idle. Once the screw is backed out so far, the governor is controlling the idle. You will need to follow the manual for the engine to get is set properly. On my 18 Vanguard, there is a tab that you need to bend to set the governed idle and also another tab to bend once the idle is set.

going back to route6x6
    Last edited by gearhead; 07-20-2017 at 08:21 AM.

This is not a "fix", just a thought.

There are times when I like to have my idle a little high, like in the Winter when it's -30 deg outside. This does not mean you have to grind gears to shift the trans.......
    When your engine is idling to high, just pull your choke for a second, this will cause the engine to "idle down". Shift to the gear you want, and carry on.

RD

You can also turn the key off 'till it almost dies, then shift.

My favorite new thing is powdered graphite.. the little tubes that you squeeze and spray. Originally used it to lube the clutch bushings, but soon found out it lets the belt slip on the engine clutch shaft when idling. I sprayed mine today while idling in nuetral, and the belt and trans clutch rolled to a stop. Makes the cvt and belt work really smooth. Doesn't last long.. I carry it under the seat.

But if it's idling fast enough that the engine clutch is gripping the belt, thats a too fast of an idle problem.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Here is the governed idle adjustment and the other tab that needs set for a Vangaurd.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread