6x6 Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6x6 Argo

6x6 Argo

Hello Im a new member, just some argo 6x6 observations so far. Man it sure gets stuck a LOT!! I spent 11 hours stuck on ice ,slush had the tracks ,was ready to leave it there, Also it gets hung up easy and then just sits and spins? Its not a very good of road machine Im thinking, Are there any other types that actually do what there ads claim> signed sort of pissed of new owner (Oh had it 2 hours and starter drive went had to remove engine to replace starter gear assembly)
    Last edited by Mike; 03-12-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: moved thread from General Discussion to the Argo forum

Hey big mike, these are very capable machines but require a little technique to operate. They are by no means perfect though. High center is the achilles heal but with practice and choosing the right line it's easily avoided. They also need to be set up correct for different scenarios of riding,,tracks, tracks with cleats, outboard motor, and a winch to list the obvious accessories. I got into my machine, an argo bigfoot for $2500.00 and went through it and spent another $400.00 or so right away. My first ride into the muck I got stuck in the mud tires all balled up and spinning and no winch. I got out finally by backing up the bank through the really soft stuff that stuck me good before. Lesson learned need a winch, wasn't done preparing argo, also argo's are heavier in the front than rear so easier to get up bank backing up and I never even tried the rocking method to inch along to better ground. In short they are different and require a different mindset but that's what I love about these damn things.

Trevor

Hi big mike, welcome to the site. First let me say: Not all amphibs are created equal. It sounds like you may have an older machine, and one large drawback of the older machines was tire size (ground clearance). Slush and ice build up in the tracks however is NOT the fault of the machine......it is the fault of the slush and ice. There are realistic expectations you need to have, like not expecting a machine to climb a cliff.....or take it into the ocean in a hurricane (12-14' swells), but our machines will go places where others will not. Driver skill has much to do with getting stuck, and getting out when you do get stuck. The easiest way to learn is to ride with other experienced riders....Where are you from?
    Here is an old thread with some video and discussion about driver skill and Argo transmissions http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...vs-t-20-a.html

It sounds like you just need a bit more practice. Yes you can get stuck with any machine, but as your skills progress, so will your ability to conquer obstacles. It's not unusual for a new owner to go out and bury their machine. I suggest finding a few embers to go ride with and try and learn from them. Good luck and don't give up. Your skills will develop.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Hey big mike,and welcome!

Being "high centered" or riding over something in the center of the unit, in your case slush and ice, will raise the unit up,make your tires spin, and boom, your stuck. Like mentioned above,practice will make a big difference,just try to hit all the high spots with the tires.

I see you're just up in Waterloo Big Mike. There are a lot of members in Southern Ontario and Western New York that get together for rides now and then. Also, there is a relatively big get-together in June in Ashtabula Ohio, which is just over 4 hours away from you, and worth the trip. If you're up for it, it's a great way to get more acquainted with your machine and lots of other different machines that perform a lot differently in different situations. It's primarily an event centered around AATV racing, but there is a pretty decent network of trails with easy areas, mud holes, ponds, stream riding etc. There are plenty of chances to get high centered in a very supportive atmosphere and the chance to understand what the machines can and can't do. It's a bit on the low end of "extreme" from a trail riding experience, but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/6x6-a...ke-2014-a.html

One big mistake I often see is trying to make a steering correction while in the deep stuff.Point the machine and let it do its thing ,it may wander left or right some but if you can stay off the brakes you will increase your chances of getting thru.Remember when making a steering correction you throw the machine into 3 or 4 wheel drive,thus making your situation worse than keeping all 6 wheels spinning. Eddie

This is what I did... I watched "millions" of youtube videos of all makes and models of amphibious atvs to see the conditions they drive in and how they did it. You can learn a lot from how other drivers do it. You can see various driving techniques. You can see how they get stuck and how they get out. How they avoid getting stuck, too.
    Lots to learn. Besides, this "homework" is enjoyable.

While out playing in the muskeg one day I ended up winching almost 2 dozen times. I learned a little bit each time I got stuck. A brighter guy may have only got stuck a dozen times that day but I never was a fast learner.

[QUOTE= I never was a fast learner.[/QUOTE]

I still enjoy the learning curve....still have lots to learn after several years owning an argo,,
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread