New Member - Need help Identifying Model and Year; Throttle issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Member - Need help Identifying Model and Year; Throttle issue

New Member - Need help Identifying Model and Year; Throttle issue

Hello all. Recently picked up an Argo at a farm implement auction for $1000; has the Kohler KT17. First I am just trying to identify it so I can research proper maintenance and troubleshooting. Secondly, I'm trying to figure out this throttle issue. Starts up and runs, but has pretty bad hesitation when revving up from idle. It bogs pretty bad and will die out if i rev it up quickly, but I can get the idle up if i feather it and do it slowly. Once its in the high rpm range or at WOT runs fine. Idles fine. Just problems transitioning from low to high RPM. I have thoroughly cleaned the carb and replaced the coil. Fuel lines look fine, no dry rot or cracking and they are securely fastened with hose clamps.

Attached Images
    Last edited by Djgiann99; 11-09-2021 at 11:34 PM.

I'm new to the Argo world myself but own and work on a lot of atv's. How's the machine run with the air filter off ? Mine was doing the same thing but when I took off the air filter it ran great. I replaced the air filter but it was doing the same thing but I put one of those filters on that you oil up first. Then I replaced it with a dry filter and that problem was solved and I moved on to the next .

Same issue with or without air filter

clean the carb

So far I've cleaned the carb (several times), adjusted the fuel air ratio (high and low sides), checked the fuel lines, and verified that the fuel pump is pumping fuel all the way to the carb. I try not to be a "parts changer" mechanic and just replace the carb with a Chinese knockoff, I would rather stick with my oem carb and actually fix the problem, so I'm hesitant to go that route.

Let's go down the steps. 1 both plugs are working.2 you said you have proper gas flow. And your needle value is set right to allow enough fuel in the carb because I've had that problem before. 3 air intake is ok you said. I know you said you cleaned the carb but the Jets get blocked real easy even with a filter on. Usually bogging down means low air. . Your right when you said you don't like to just replace parts. It's better to find the problem then work on it. Have you down a compression test on it in not sure what your machines compression should be but that easy to look up.

Quote Originally Posted by Djgiann99 View Post
    Hello all. Recently picked up an Argo at a farm implement auction for $1000; has the Kohler KT17. First I am just trying to identify it so I can research proper maintenance and troubleshooting. Secondly, I'm trying to figure out this throttle issue. Starts up and runs, but has pretty bad hesitation when revving up from idle. It bogs pretty bad and will die out if i rev it up quickly, but I can get the idle up if i feather it and do it slowly. Once its in the high rpm range or at WOT runs fine. Idles fine. Just problems transitioning from low to high RPM. I have thoroughly cleaned the carb and replaced the coil. Fuel lines look fine, no dry rot or cracking and they are securely fastened with hose clamps.

The machine is a early 6I/C.
    As far as runability if you have done all the carb stuff it is possibly in the governor, however I would change the points and condenser first.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rj1 View Post
    Let's go down the steps. 1 both plugs are working.2 you said you have proper gas flow. And your needle value is set right to allow enough fuel in the carb because I've had that problem before. 3 air intake is ok you said. I know you said you cleaned the carb but the Jets get blocked real easy even with a filter on. Usually bogging down means low air. . Your right when you said you don't like to just replace parts. It's better to find the problem then work on it. Have you down a compression test on it in not sure what your machines compression should be but that easy to look up.
    Currently waiting on delivery of a new seat and needle, it was a little bit sticky, and I just learned about the float adjustment (seam of the float parallel with the flange, right?) As soon as I get the new seat and needle I'll install and see how it goes. As far as spark, I'm getting spark, but all I have is a spark tester, so I guess I don't know if it's "strong" or not. The thing is, it runs like a champ, I just went out and burned through a whole tank of gas offroading; it's just the transition from idle to throttle

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    The machine is a early 6I/C.
    As far as runability if you have done all the carb stuff it is possibly in the governor, however I would change the points and condenser first.
    Thanks for the info, is there a way to find out the year? Serial number or vin tag on these things?

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Go to ODG.com and on the home page go to contact us. If you have the tag on the dash you can give them the numbers and they will let you know the year, model etc. My tag reads V692-22 which translates to 1992 Vanguard 6x6. If you have no tag the numbers on the engine and trans will let them figure out the model and year. If it has a Briggs engine the first 2 numbers in the serial#, not the model#, is the year of manufacture. This could be a duplicate posting. If so , my apologies.

+ Reply to Thread