Can you remove the left brake rotor/sprocket without removing clutch?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you remove the left brake rotor/sprocket without removing clutch?

Can you remove the left brake rotor/sprocket without removing clutch?

hi all, to make a sad story short i stripped the upper left sprocket on my 2009 750 efi avenger with the khoer motor , got new chain and both upper and lower sprockets on order,
    but i was looking at it and iam not sure if there will be room to slide of the rotor from the shaft before it hits the clutch,
    will i need to pull the clutch ? if i do can this be done without pulling the entire motor/tranny assembly out of the argo ;((?
    i was hoping it would be a clink clink screw screw tap swear once job , not a
    clink clink screw swear pull pry swear clink clink pull pry swear job ... if ya know what i mean
    any info would be great!

In Short, NO
    Pull off the belt, Pull the bolt out of the end of the Clutch Shaft, Slide the clutch off the shaft. Should take about 15 seconds.

Always remember to put "Anti-Sieze" on the shaft before putting the clutch back on.

RD

15 seconds assuming it's not frozen on, and the guy before you was sharp enough to anti-seize the shaft. On my parts Argo, I had to take the tranny in with the clutch to a local machine shop for heating and some quality time with The Mother of All Pullers. $20 later it was off.

Your rig is new...so 15 seconds is about right.

Planter Bob

my freind has the exact rig i have 3 weeks newer and he couldnt get his off, he didnt need it off and didnt try to hard < hes a tinkerer> another friend is rebuilding his tranny 08 avenger, with 800 hours and we hadda use pullers but that was ok because the power pack was out , iam reall hoping it works like RD say's, for sure will be anti seizing it before it goes back on regardless
    i just hope 150 hours on it hasnt stuck it on .will update how it went when i get ma parts!
    thanks for the info .

May I ask how you managed to strip the upper sprocket?? Seems it would be difficult to do knowing how tight those chains are.

I'm not the original poster, but here's how I stripped my brake disk drive sprocket.

If the frame for the power pack (transmission/engine) comes loose at all OR if the idler shaft bearing setscrews come loose (both happened to me), and there's a side load on the whole machine, the chain can come out of alignment enough that it chews the sprocket teeth on the brake disc clean down flat. Not fun, and a total breakdown situation. You lose mobility and steering. All my own fault...I forgot to torque the front mounting bolts on the power pack frame, and I forgot Threadlocker on the setscrews on my idler shaft. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Too much in a hurry to get out to my cabin. UGH.

From now on, I carry a spare brake disk.

Planter Bob

Hey Bob, were ther any indications of what was going on, before catastrophic failure? Noises, Grinding, Vibes, anything?

RD

Hello all, recently had an identical issue with the right side disc on my 2001 conquest 6x6. This spring removed all chains to soak in kero then relube and install. Thats when i noticed the sprocket teeth 1/2 gone widthwise (looked like thin little bicycle sprockets). My thoughts of how this can occur are as follows. Previous owner was wealthy enough to be able to throw maintenance pretty much to the wind. He told me horror stories regarding the numerous batteries he went through. I'm pretty sure this fellow does not own a grease gun,pump oiler,etc either. Sooooo i believe that after many lead/acid storage battery failures in the mach and not doing a through clean up between replacments,compounded by the lack of lubrication the idler shaft and components recieved lead to the idler sprocket sliding over and siezing on the shaft causing misalignment of the short chain. How is this much damage done without making some sort of indication is beyond me. 30+ yrs in maint, i do not just ignore noises,movments,etc. Got everything all cleaned and lubed up and replaced the disc. Scarry part, since preforming this repair i have,on occasion,heard slight "popping" sounds usually charicteristic of "shark finned" teeth on a sprocket. This won the new disc,chain and sprocket on idler shaft a couple of inspections with my nice bright flashlite and MAGNIFING glass,however,no visable indications the noise is comming from there. Joe.

ok guys fist off thanks for the info and stories, any experience is great ,
    got the clutch off np just a little pull on one side and tap tap with hammer .
    just to answer above posts , was no indication of noise or anything , i do have my back chains off and i run tracks and somtimes when coming out of a hole with slimy mud tires will spin in tracks and make a shuddering when this happens
    i imagine that could be just like a sprocket jumping chain , that happend twice that day ,
    what i think is that i was overzealose in keeping that chain tight 3/16 intch is what the book said and i think i took that a little to much , now id rather have em looser thinking tight chains wear more then looser ones < note not overly loose>
    they tend to like being at 1/2 inch and seem to goto there after a short run anyway , so if they dont click on turns , i leave em now .
    btw my botom sprocket wasnt stripped but the teeth where very thin and shark toothed< was wearing deeper and to one side> why i belive it was to tight
    just my thoughts , and exp would be great thanks

+ Reply to Thread