Broken transmission shaft in 1997 max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broken transmission shaft in 1997 max II

Broken transmission shaft in 1997 max II

Well, I was out playing in some mud the other day with my new to me Max II and something let go. I couldn't go forward or reverse. I could see the clutch was turning but not the sprocket coming out the transmission. I used the winch to get me out of the mud and on to the trail. Ended up walking home and the next day towed it out of the woods with my SUV. I looked at it the next day a little closer and saw the shaft was loose in the transmission and I could just pull it out (as far as it would go until it hit the side of the frame. I see it is a common problem with some of these machines. What the best way to go about fixing it? I don't really want to rebuild the whole thing if I don't need to. Any video out there to show me how? Thanks

I'm not sure I completely understand what is broken. Are you able to pull the clutch (CVT with the belt on it) out until it hits the frame or are you talking about the actual output shaft? It's not that common to break an output shaft but if it's just your clutch, you could have broken the key that holds it on?

When I pull the clutch, the whole shaft comes out of the transmission. The sprocket stays on the transmission. I not sure if the shaft is actually broken or not until I pull the transmission out.

I'm no expert but since I have a transmission apart on my workbench I know what you mean. It sounds like the either the input shaft broke, or the C clips that hold it in place broke. I think you have no choice but to open it up. I would worry that any loose metal fragments damaged some of the gear internals. What you see once you have it apart will dictate how much you'll need to do as part of your rebuild. Once you're replacing the seals and gaskets that you don't want to re-use anyway ($60) and whatever shaft or gear broke, you'll just need to decide if the bands have enough life left to make spending $140 for band reline now is worth it or if you'd rather revisit this later for the reline and another $60 for the gaskets and seals at that time. I think most people here would say just do it all and do it once unless your bands are nearly new.

Quote Originally Posted by Green mtn max View Post
    When I pull the clutch, the whole shaft comes out of the transmission. The sprocket stays on the transmission. I not sure if the shaft is actually broken or not until I pull the transmission out.
    It could be as simple as a C-clip that let go, or as bad as a snapped input shaft. The best thing to do is tear it apart......it's really not very difficult to do.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks everyone for the help, I started to take remove it from the frame and will work on it a little more tonight ( I work rather slow) I found a how to article on removing it and doesn't look to bad. When I get it out and apart how much lining should the band have on them to concider them good enough to reuse? It will also be a good time to replace the starter on the engine as it should be easier to get to with the transmission out. Other then that I really like the thing.

For the band thickness, there are existing threads on the site that can explain it in more detail than me:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...ion-bands.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...uestion-3.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...tml#post163505

Is this a tranny that has the supported or unsupported shaft? Click here for a T-20 main shaft modification upgrade tutorial Route 6x6

That T-20 doesn't have a supported main input shaft. In fact, the T-20 supported main input shaft was only on the very early transmissions up until the mid 70's. After that they were all non-supported. "Supported" shafts were about an inch or so longer and that extra inch of the shaft went into a needle bearing that was pressed inside the output shaft assembly on the opposite side of the clutch. It was a good setup. Unless you want to spend BIG bucks, plus very high shipping and handling charges, you should avoid buying these parts from Richard's Relics. There are members here on 6X6World that will have T-20 parts that will sell them for significantly less.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Looks like the shaft is broken in two. Time to open it up! Where is the best place to get the parts I need?

+ Reply to Thread