Liquid or air cooled motor?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Liquid or air cooled motor?

Liquid or air cooled motor?

Hello everyone. Argo seems to be going all air cooled in their new models. Which is better in your opinion power, longevity? Trying to decide which to buy. Thanks

The Achilles heel of these things is trapped heat in the engine compartment. I looked at liquid cooled for my conversion from the 18HP Vanguard air cooled motor but decided against due to space requirements. Not saying it can’t be done, but if it was down, I’d highly suggest mounting the radiator on the hood like the mud bog ATV guys do. If you go air cooled like I am, I would suggest running the muffler on the outside of the hull. This would require some minor reworking of your exhaust system but I think it will be a huge help in vacating some of the heat. Another suggestion would be to run an ATV/UTV type electric radiator fan on top of your hood or blowing in through the brake cooling port. More air in resulting in a happier motor to my way of thinking.
    Located in Western Montana

2003 Argo Bigfoot 31hp Spray Rig

So you are saying that your air cooled engine does overheat at times? I don't own an argo yet. Just trying to decide which one to buy. Thanks.

My Aurora 850 with the Briggs Vanguard does fine.
    I have not seen any overheating issues at all. Winter or summer.
    I also have not seen the need for heat while going on multiple ice fishing trips.
    Any more than a little sun and you are looking for air in the soft cab.

+ Reply to Thread