I have already put 96 hours on my 2016 750hdi. I had it down for maintenance this weekend and found the front left (short) chain on the front axle seemed to be stretched way more than the right side, or any of the others. I didn't measure it, but it seemed to be close to 2" to 2 1/2" of slack up and down. I know the manual calls for attention when slack exceeds 3", but does that apply for this short chain as well? (I have the Admiral transmission so no drive chains like the older units coming down the side of the trans. Only the final drives have chains.)

But what puzzles me more than anything is why did that one chain stretch so much and the others are okay? I keep the maintenance done on schedule every time, and probably over-oil the chains because it's been so dusty this fall. It isn't making any noise, not jumping the sprocket, and doesn't seem to be in any kind of bind. AND, I only have 96 hours on the machine. Also, the slack stays the same no matter how I roll the tires back and forth. It will tighten a little on the top when it is pulling, but the slack drops to the bottom/return side.

What is the life expectancy of the chains from new on average? And, how much slack is necessary before a link can be taken out and still be able to be made back up without being too tight?