Adair ' rubber belted ' track swim test

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adair ' rubber belted ' track swim test

Very nice, I hope I'll have a chance to see how well they perform in snow and slush
    Jack

I would still like to know if they swim better than the regular chain style Adair Tracks. That Argo was really moving are most Argo 8x8 with Adair tracks that fast of swimmer? Thanks Thomas
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by highrollinmopars View Post
    I would still like to know if they swim better than the regular chain style Adair Tracks. That Argo was really moving are most Argo 8x8 with Adair tracks that fast of swimmer? Thanks Thomas
    No the chain style, std or case hardened do not swim as fast as the belted style. The grousers are larger and spaced farther apart on the belted track and seem to work as better paddles than the more closely placed grousers on the chain style track that's spacing is dictated by the pith of the chain.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Thanks bud what I needed to know
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

-How wide and thick are the belts and how are they connected to close the track around the tires ?
    -Can the belts be adjusted if they stretch over time ?
    -Any on trail repair kits or method if one of the belts gets cut through ?

The rubber belted Adair tracks are 3 inches wide and 1/2 thick. The rubber belt fits through a slot in each grouser and is pinched together by a 3/8 stainless steel screw. I was told that in 5,000 hours of use these belts will only stretch about 1%. The belts are held together with two stainless steel hinges. The belts are adjustable when you by them

Ill have to wait and see how the rubber belted tracks work on Kghills Hustler. I may need to buy a set if they are that much better.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

Quote Originally Posted by highrollinmopars View Post
    Ill have to wait and see how the rubber belted tracks work on Kghills Hustler. I may need to buy a set if they are that much better.
    Remember, in general, the 8x8s will swim faster than the 6x6s with Adair tracks. Tim previously has not advertised the tracks as swimming tracks even though they do swim. Typically most other tracks will not propel the vehicle at all. Your Hustler has the same 25x12x9 tires in the tracks as my Max. THey look to swim about the same. THe tracks for my Hustler will be built around 28x12x12 tires turned down to a 26.5" diameter at 7PSI. The rear tires will about touch and the grousers will be at least 1.5 inches tall. All the Adair seem to be good in the mud. Some are just made differently than others as time progresses.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    The rubber belted Adair tracks are 3 inches wide and 1/2 thick. The rubber belt fits through a slot in each grouser and is pinched together by a 3/8 stainless steel screw. I was told that in 5,000 hours of use these belts will only stretch about 1%. The belts are held together with two stainless steel hinges. The belts are adjustable when you by them
    Just caught this thread and wanted to correct and clarify a few comments....

Thank you all for the kind comments, but belt stretch of the 1/2" thick, 3" wide 4 ply belting is claimed by the mfg rep to have an expected stretch of less than 1% - 2% over a 5 year period of use...they don't claim that on any particular application of use or hours of use, but they build a lot of specialized belting for some really large equipment builders and claim that this is overkill for the Adair track application...we will see...that amount of streatch on a 234" long track could still be 2-5 inches and the adjust can be easily made by simply repositioning the last grouser on the belting and cut the hinge off the end of the belt and reposition it...this would shorten the track about an inch if and when necessary.

Second thing I noticed is that this new design does currently use a custom Adair hinge splice that is made from stainless steel..the bolts that hold it on and the pin that hold it together are standard zink plated steel...also the lag screws that clamp the grouser to the belting are high quality 5/16" x 4" GRK outdoor fasteners....these screws and the few hinge bolts could easily be provided in stainless for minimal cost but most consumers would not benifit from the added cost so the standard Adair belted track does not come with all stainless fasteners..

I don't mean to get in the middle of these conversations and do appreciate all of the kind comments, but want to try and make sure that the info is as correct as possible.

Thanks everyone

Tim

+ Reply to Thread