argo 8x8 avenger 2005

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: argo 8x8 avenger 2005

argo 8x8 avenger 2005

After a quick spin from off the lake, I heard a loud pop like something breaking, well as it turns out something that keeps the front left tire in uniform, I can clearly see the difference from the other side as the spacing between the tires are closer on the front left than the front right and it pulls to the left when traveling and the tracks want to ball up like theres alot of space in the track...acording to my manual I may have broken an idler tension cam...so how much trouble am I in, can I fix it myself or should I take it in to a professional...Im pretty mechanically inclined any input would be much appreciated....Thank You...!

When you say spacing between the tires do you mean the distance between the first and second tire? If so, it sounds like your axle could be bent. Does that tire wobble when you drive?

If you drive it very slowly does the distance between the front and second tire stay the same or does it change. If it stays pretty much the same, broken bearing extension.. if it changes or has a wobble.. bent axle..

I guess Ive not looked at the point of a wobble, I do see on the left the front tire is closer to 2nd and on the right side the tires are evenly spaced...I will look and see if there is a wobble...when I drive it in reverse things seems to go back to normal for a bit then the track balls up, like I explained in the post about going forward...I will do some more diagnosing and get back, as I want this baby back up and going quickly, I love it so much Im thinking of going and buying me another one 2013 though...I might sale this one after I fix the issue or have it fixed, my wife doesnt agree I need 2 imagine that...lmao...I do appreciate the feedback, and will look at these issues you have described to me and get back at you....Hey before I forget HAPPY NEW YEAR to you ALL....

sounds to me like you have a trashed outer bearing. jack up the front of the machine, grab the tire and shake it up and down. with a killed bearing it will have a ton of play
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

no ton of play..a small amount very.little...I've got tire off nothing appears broken or trashed

I have removed the track and front tire, before doing so, I measured the end to end of each rim, I have 36 inches between each one accept the front in which is 34 2 inches different then I went to the other side and did the same measurement and I find em all in line 36 apart, so somehow the front left axle has moved inward but i dont see anything broken or loose parts chains are fairly tight, so Im wondering if there is a chain tightener, I dont personally see any type of adjustments other than the idler adjustment cam and I dont see where that would gain me 2 inches, and i dont know that its the isssue...the noise I heard was something definately breaking into though, like something bound and then snapped...no broken chains...my wife is looking at it now...lol shes always gotta have her input...lol Im sure you have the same issues at your house, ha I might be suprised to find out she knows more than me...What do I know...? NOTHING lmao....she does however work on her machine at work replacing belts chains, pulleys and yes bearings, she runs a huge folder for mailing that stuffs envelopes and sorts by code, a pretty delicate machine from what I gather...Now I have the input of a 3 yr old GRANDSON he says pappa get it going, as he is watching me and trying to help...it might be time for BEER....

I did post a picture on facebook...under charlie kempf if you wanted to see...I think on the 6x6 facebook page..if not on charlie kempf facebook page youll find lots of pictures...lol

I think you may have something...it changes and tightens up going in reverse...lunges forward as you drive forward kinda like a bucking horse....okay after a survey of addidtional issues I have found out that the pop noise i heard was in fact the tensioner cam, Ive went to each side released them and then took it for a spin, also I had my wife hold the tape...I find after trouble shooting taking both tracks off and then going up n down some hills and spinning around ive concluded nothing wrong, Im just overeacting I guess, and since this incident i have done some maintenance and will still have it checked out by a professional...Thanks again for all the resonses its great to know others have interests as well...!
    Last edited by Mike; 01-01-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: merged four consecutive posts (you can edit your original post)

+ Reply to Thread