Oil up in carb area???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oil up in carb area???

2001 MaxIV. No hour meter. Brought used. Not sure what else to look at. Not sure I want to tear engine down quite yet, but may have too.

Some post on the internet said to pull the plugs and spray with WD 40. His belief is one of the pistons might be stuck. Any ideas on that?

Motors out and now time to look into whats going on. I'm gonna speak with my mechanic friend and see where I need to start. I''m still planning on buying a new engine. Gonna upgrade to a 21 or 23 if I can afford it. I'm hoping to fix the one I've got up if I can do it for a reasonable price and resale it. Now it's time to get at the T-20 and check fluid levels and everything else down under. The Max IV's make it a little difficult to get at the T-20 and everything under the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
    The Max IV's make it a little difficult to get at the T-20 and everything under the engine.
    Every machine seems to have a drawback to working on them. You found the flaw in your IV. The II's require you to undo an ungodly number of wing nuts to separate the halves. In an Argo you are working under the dash or through a small access panel that is at least bigger than that of the II. With a 980 Bigfoot you almost have to dive into the machine to get at things. Attex seems to be the easiest access to all parts, but there is a flaw in almost every design if you look hard enough.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

So true. I was looking at it tonight and thinking maybe I should take out the engine support platform. That way I can do some cleaning and checking of things that would normally be really hard to get at. If ya got any advice on what I should possibly do when I got all this stuff out feel free to advise.
    Sort of funny, I just pictured myself with just my legs sticking out straight up in the air from the engine compartment.

Dont forget to change your T-20 transmission fluid while you can.

I had my legs sticking straight out of the backseat area tonight. It is easiest to remove the rear seat an well as the engine stand. Check all your sprockets out for wear. Also take a look at your t-20 mounts, there have been issues there. A support upgrade kit is recommended. Also do a good check of the bearings and chain. If its apart, it's a good time to service or replace. Then check your frame for straightness which shouldn't be an issue and paint any scratches or scuffs to keep it from rusting. A brush will work just fine, or you can shoot it with spray paint. It really won't stick to or would be noticed on the inside of the tub, just don't paint your bearings, chain, belt, chain tensioners, or any other item that really shouldn't be painted.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Vanguard head gasket

At this point I would pull the heads off. # 2 cylinder (closest to the firewall) tend to run a little hotter as there is less coll air circulation back there. Have a look at the attached photo, I'm betting this is what you will find.
    Attached Images

Vanguard head gasket

One more pic (same engine) The head gasket leaks compression into this area on the engine block and creates a positive pressure in the crankcase which will blow oil up through the breather reed and into the air cleaner housing.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread