Mid 80's with Tracks Best Axle Pin?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mid 80's with Tracks Best Axle Pin?

Mid 80's with Tracks Best Axle Pin?

Hey guys...wow...it's been a LONG while since I posted!

I still have my mid-80s Argo 8x8 I/C going strong. I installed Tru-Tracks last winter, but didn't really get on testing them until this spring/summer here in Alaska. Man..I can't say enough great things about the difference. I now LOOK for places to try and get stuck, and rarely succeed. If anyone tells you that a 13" track and stock axles isn't enough, they need to come on a ride with me.

One thing tracks do is put different stresses on the axle pins. I had older pins in mine (non-Argo) and lost quite a few on this past trip.

I'm going to be buying Spirol coiled pins directly from a distributor, as I just can't feel the love giving Argo over $2 per pin. I'm convinced that Argo buys them from Spirol anyhow, but I haven't been able to find out what grade they use, light, medium, or heavy duty.

Does anyone know the answer to this one? Also, which would you go with using tracks? Any other folk out there with a pinned Argo running tracks that felt the need to swap out the stock pins for something different?

Thanks,

Planter Bob

Yes the last pin you will ever need is a 5/16" x 2 1/2" hex head cap screw structural grade(black) bolt and nylon insert lock nut, its all i ever use and rarely ever have a problem
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

So I have a question why do you use hex head? It is my experience that pins are used because they break so the axel does not just like a shear pin on a prop or a boat. I worry about damaging the axel, Im no expert but I have to think the people who design Argo know what their talking about when they used roller pins instead of bolts am I wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill335 View Post
    I worry about damaging the axel, Im no expert but I have to think the people who design Argo know what their talking about when they used roller pins instead of bolts am I wrong.

I would not say wrong, but you will note that Argo no longer uses roll pins. The axles are splined. There is no longer a "Weak Spot" built in. It is also my experience that most guys that I knew with older machines also went with Bolts (Grade 8). I'm not going to say it's right or wrong, but I don't recall anyone breaking an axle becouse they had a bolt in there instead of a roll pin. I will say that it's a PITA to stop every hour, Unload an Argo, and replace a pin, Reload the argo, and so on.....Especially when it's a whole Moose loaded in the machine, lol.

RD

shear pins were just old and simple technology that worked well brand new out the door but once the sprockets and chains get a little wear and lash the pins were easily breaking. The hex head cap screws are used to fit in the tight holes on sprokets using double chains
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

I've decided to go with Holo-Krome socket shoulder bolts with a shoulder diameter of 5/16" and a a 1 3/4" shoulder length. It's their part # 08030. I have an email to them to find out the hardness. I'd rather have something close to a grade 5 than a grade 8. Although harder, a grade 8 may prove too brittle and actually break easier.

Planter Bob

OK...it's been nearly three years since I posted this, and I thought I'd give an update. The Holo-Krome shoulder bolder are PERFECT replacements for the roll pins. I have broken ONE in almost three seasons, and have had zero axle/sprocket issues. They are not cheap, but have saved me gobs of time replacing pins. In areas where the head/nut doesn't fit, I just ground the side of the head flat, and drilled the threads and inserted a small cotter pin to hold it in place. I am totally happy with the replacement, and recommend to anyone with pin issues to consider going to the Holo-Krome #08030 shoulder bolts. They ROCK.

I use them also. When they break it's easy to remove.
    Softer bolts bend then break making them tough to remove and repair.
    Acta non verba

thanks for sharing. i have a similar argo with the argo standard plastic tracks. one problem with mine though...i am having trouble fitting the tracks on the argo. i bought it second hand with the tracks and never had them installed. do you have to let the air out of the tires 100%? Do you have track extensions? thanks for the pins advice. I was a sucker and spent like 20 bucks for the pins on ebay. next time I will stock up on those bolts.

I think this is some of the best info I have seen in a while. Under the last post on the right there is a blue button. "Add tags" can somone add broken Argo pin and some others? This way ifsomone googles broken Argo pins or duch the can find this easy.
    Alaska floating atvs group on face book. Fixing help and trail rides!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

85ish Argo 8x8 geo metro engine, hdi axles and 3 bearings per axle.

78 ford bronco... 460 lockers.... "Alaskan tow vehicle"

ATV = Alaska Terain Vehicle

+ Reply to Thread