Argo Response Reverse Gear Slipping out

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo Response Reverse Gear Slipping out

Argo Response Reverse Gear Slipping out

Hey guys,

Before I do anything major like pulling the tranny and tearing into it I wanted to see if anybody has experienced similar events.

When in Reverse gear, at very low speed the lever will pop out of gear and go into neutral. At that position it don't sound great either like its rubbing either neutral or reverse a touch, just enough to make a small noise.

Noticed this was happening when I put it away last fall and when I reversed it the other day to bringer into the garage for some pre-season maintenance I was reminded of my problem.

Any advice? I've read somewhere about adjustments being performed on shift levers, however I didn't see anything that mentioned in the manual.

What would your advice be. Leave it and drive it as is just dealing with it when it slips out by putting it back in and moving on.

Or tear it down and fix it before it's really bad?

Obviously tearing down is the last thing I want to do. I want to get muddy. lol

My standard advice for any Argo that jumps out of any gear is take it apart and repair it. Iv seen so many with home made plates with notches in them trying to hold the lever in gear, it works for a while. Probably double gear, input shaft and possibly the reverse idler are worn in yours. I've had pretty good ones that still jump out of gear, only takes a bit of taper on the teeth.

+ Reply to Thread