Argo expanding

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Argo expanding

Its still a differential. Lets say you fully jammed one side you will find that applying throttle will only allow one side to spin unless you applied steering. It does apply torque to both sides but it has a limit to how much force it will apply. It is not fully locked. The pic you provide is certainly a muddy situation but stick one side against a stump or embankment and it will stop driving one side. Dont get me wrong i love the admiral transmission I had the classic for 17 years so I know the difference but to think the admiral is fully locked on both sides when going straight is not true.
    So if the counter rotation is useless then they should have made it where it wasnt. True counter rotation would be a benefit in certain situations.

I get what your saying and totally agree. I normally hate differentials that aren't locked but this setup seems to work pretty darn good in High Range. Very well balanced and the right ratio for my style of driving and conditions. Could it be better, well I think there's room to make everything better so yup. Haha

I'm not master at diffs but is there a way to make a mechanical diff that would counter rotate? The only way I understand of achieving that would be by hydraulics which are too heavy and haven't proved to be necessary in my situation. I have a hard time getting the unit stuck as is with my setup.I like to keep my machines as light as possible, and as simple as possible when far out in the boonies.

Great convo btw!

I think the big news isn't the transmission, its the fact that there will be a 40hp option on some models. The extra power will make the machine really perform well. Several years back I had an Argo 6x6 that had a Generac 30hp conversion. Even though the machine had the old school transmission the extra power made it perform like an Admiral but without the noted issues of the Admiral.
    My hat is off to Argo. Thinking outside the box will allow their product line to evolve and meet the expectations of consumers.

how well do you people think a 40hp air cooled briggs will hold up. air cooled got me wondering unless they have a new design of air flow to the engine??

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    how well do you people think a 40hp air cooled briggs will hold up. air cooled got me wondering unless they have a new design of air flow to the engine??
    Good point. I just wish they would have available the best HP/transmission in the lineup on ALL MODELS.
    Too many variables now...starting to think about a side by side UTV with tracks as I don’t really swim my Argo...although if the opportunity arose I would.
    Trouble is in my state you have to register as a boat AND an atv. You can’t go on trails because it’s too wide, etc. Too much baloney.

Most of the new Argos have the fan kit available either as a standard feature or as an option. I live in Texas and can verify that even in high heat it makes for a must have, no engine over heating at all. The large commercial grade engines also have a big cooling fan. Between the induction fan and the hood fan my machine has never over heated.

is this a 750 liquid cooled your talking about noel? i know my engine doesn't heat but gets to a point where it irritates me how hot it gets and its only a 18hp. A 40hp is a lot bigger and will run hotter i just dont understand why briggs doesn't have a liquid cooled model of this engine. maybe an oil cooler will be sufficient?

No, its a 747cc Air cooled Kohler. Fuel injected, never over heats. I know the Briggs engines over-heated all the time, that's why I upgraded to Kohler.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I think the big news isn't the transmission, its the fact that there will be a 40hp option on some models. The extra power will make the machine really perform well. Several years back I had an Argo 6x6 that had a Generac 30hp conversion. Even though the machine had the old school transmission the extra power made it perform like an Admiral but without the noted issues of the Admiral.
    My hat is off to Argo. Thinking outside the box will allow their product line to evolve and meet the expectations of consumers.
    What are some of the "Noted" issues of the Admiral trans? I've heard about these but yet to experience any in approx 500hrs of driving them.
    I've heard some neutral switch issues and the odd high/low shift cable adjustments mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    Most of the new Argos have the fan kit available either as a standard feature or as an option. I live in Texas and can verify that even in high heat it makes for a must have, no engine over heating at all. The large commercial grade engines also have a big cooling fan. Between the induction fan and the hood fan my machine has never over heated.
    Same deal with me, haven't ever seen past half on my temp gauge. BUT! The heat gets so hot in the engine bay and can't get it out fast enough that my fuel line is vaporizing and my machine cuts out to the point of barely idling, hard starting with lots of throttle and playing with the choke to get any fuel to the carb without flashing off.
    I plant to add the cowl fan no matter what, and do some heat protection on my fuel line but this should have been solved from the factory.
    Keeping the motors cool on Argo's I don't think is much of the problem as much as getting that heat out of the engine bay.

The combination of being enclosed and right next to the transmission with skid steering brakes dragging all the time is a recipe for disaster when worked hard.

I think the motor will do fine, I've been getting sick and tired of topping up my coolant all the time and always been a big believer in fan cooled motors for reliability. I've had my fair share of warped heads and overheating winching through muskeg on many liquid cooled machines that I have lost faith in them really. I personally think this is a great move, even greater is the return of carburated models! How come no one has mentioned this yet???? A+ in my mind.

+ Reply to Thread