2017 Frontier 6x6 Pulling to the right

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2017 Frontier 6x6 Pulling to the right

2017 Frontier 6x6 Pulling to the right

I was wondering when I ride on level ground it seems that my argo pulls a bit to the right, I keep steering to the left to compensate. I check the tire pressure and it's all good. Is there any other adjustment to be made . Or is it a little normal to pull to one side a bit. Also when I compensate it seems that sometimes there a chain noise, like slapping the floor board, would that be normal.
    Thanks guys , looking forward to your answers.

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I’m wrong but I would suggest
    The right hand brake calliper is binding on a little.
    I’ve recently just replaced the pads on both of my Argo’s and I had this problem on one of them.
    I took the callipers off and very gently pushed the pistons out pulling the brake, to expose the piston on the calliper
    And cleaned the surface with an fine abrasive strip, put a very light smear of copper grease on the pistons and
    Pushed them in and out a few times to ensure operation and then replaced the pads.
    Brakes are working perfectly now with no binding.
    I have the chain slapping issue on one too, I guess that’s down to the chain tensioners / tension of the chain or simply touching my slightly distorted Floor.
    Best of luck

Same problem when riding on the ice with my 2016 Frontier Scout. I found a couple tires on the one side it was pulling toward low and inflated them to match and the pull was reduced but not eliminated altogether...learned to live with it.
    Chain slap on these critters seems unavoidable...

My guess right now is you have a tire (or tires) that are larger circumference on left. They travel farther every revolution and make you pull (or rather push) to the right.

Making sure all are at the same pressure is the first thing to do. If you are willing pull all the tires off and measure the circumference of all of your tires inflated to the same pressure. You might be surprised to find how much difference there is. With my 2015 HDI with the 25" tires size ranged from 75" to 80". I like to run them biggest to smallest on each side starting from front to back. If you want to "tune" it some inflate the tires on the side it is pulling to and you can get it to track straighter.

Checking the brake drag is also good advice. Block it up so all the tires are off the ground and spin each side by hand. You'll likely be able to feel it. Run it on the blocks too and see if one seems to drag more.
    Last edited by AlaskaGrizzly; 09-23-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGrizzly View Post
    My guess right now is have a tire (or tires) that are larger circumference on left. They travel farther every revolution and make you pull to the right.

Making sure all are at the same pressure is the first thing to do. If you are willing pull all the tires off and measure the circumference of all of your tires inflated to the same pressure. You might be surprised to find how much difference there is. With my 2015 HDI with the 25" tires size ranged from 75" to 80". I like to run them biggest to smallest on each side starting from front to back. If you want to "tune" it some inflate the tires on the side it is pulling to and you can get it to track straighter.

Checking the brake drag is also good advice. Block it up so all the tires are off the ground and spin each side by hand. You'll likely be able to feel it. Run it on the blocks too and see if one seems to drag more.
    Excellent idea! Easy to do as well. I’m going to put mine on the lift and measure all the circumferences! May I ask what the logic is behind having the larger tires on the front?

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Excellent idea! Easy to do as well. I’m going to put mine on the lift and measure all the circumferences! May I ask what the logic is behind having the larger tires on the front?
    Reason I do it is because is I was told that this is suggested for running tracks and I believe I confirmed it in the Argo track instructions. It avoids getting "chain wind up" with tracks where the drive chains can get tighter than you can imagine on the back chains. If its good for tracks then I figure its good for running only tires too.

And, if nothing else, I'm anal and by doing this I know which tire is the biggest in the right or left set at all times.

I should mention I've also let air out of the tires to make them track straight too. So, if its pulling to the right, let air out of the biggest tire on the left and it will track straighter.

Thanks a lot guys, i'll try some of those ideas.

+ Reply to Thread